Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with DH when we are away?

Mom of 2 is offline Registered User

What to do with DH when we are away?

We are making plans to go back home during Chinese New Year. As we will have accomodation issues if we bring our helper along (will be staying at my sister's house and has limited space), we are more inclined to leave her in Hong Kong during this period. My helper has been with me for only 1 month now. Hence, I am not sure about leaving her alone at my apartment here in Hong Kong. However, I like to have some opinion from those who had the same situation before.

a) Arranging for accomodation for her during the CNY period at DH boarding house? Does anyone has a recommendation? How about the daily cost of doing so? Do I have to pay her meal allowances during the 3 statutory Chinese New Year holidays?

b) Or if i were to bring my DH back home, can she continue with her duties at my sister's house? And she can opt not to work for me during these off-days right?

As this is my first time hiring a DH....I am quite clueless. Any advice is appreciated.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    I bought my DH to visit my in-laws about two months' ago for over three weeks. During that period, there was two Sundays and one PH, I did pay her extra for that three days as OT in US. At my in-laws place, her main duty is to take care of my LO, since they have part-time working for them
    My DH already with me for one year now, she seesm to be very cooperative and flexible for OT work as long as we pay her. I'm bringing her to Thailand for X'mas too, she even don't mind to work on Chistmas day.
    I think basically, it is an arrangment between the DH and the employer.
    Bear Lau:

sourcing is offline Registered User
    I gave her paid holidays inadvance so I don't need to give her later on and make sure she signed it.

rani is offline Administrator
    There are quite a few boarding houses in Central/Wanchai. I'm sure if your helper asks a few helpers in your building, someone will know if there's one in the area. They charge about $1000/month for bed space and $2000 for a room.

You didn't say where you are travelling to?

Have a read through this thread on travelling w/helper and holidays

helper's holidays
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Mom of 2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice given.

I've spoken to my DH. She will be making arrangement to stay in a boarding house with a daily rate of HKD30 per day. I intend to pay her HKD40 per day to include her daily meal allowance as well (as stated in the contract).

Through this period, there is actually 3 days of statutory holiday (3 days of lunar new year) and 2 Sundays off. Just out of curiousity, is the DH entitled to meal allowances during statutory holidays and sunday off? I going to pay her the allowances through the full period anyway, but just wanted to know if it is her entitlement or an extra that I am giving her. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    if you are going away and you don't expect your helper to work while you are gone, maybe you could offer her an alternative to the boarding house.

tell her you are willing to pay the equivalent as you would for her to be in the boarding house toward airfare and maybe she could go home for a visit too. but that you are only going to pay out what you'd be paying out if she stayed in HK. then if she decides, she can make up the rest of the cost of the ticket.

I'm sure she would appreciate the offer and the choice.

good luck!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    why not let the DH stay in the house? What are the downside or concerns?

justanis is offline Registered User
    If we are away for a stretch of more than 8 days, and we choose to let our helper stay home instead of bringing her along with us. does this means that we will pay for her daily meal allowance ?

as she have work with us for only 6 weeks, do we have to pay her for the time we are away ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top