Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Nasty cradle cap

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Unhappy Nasty cradle cap

My little one has cradle cap since he's 3 weeks old. Now he's 3 months and the condition has not improved much. There will be days when his skin is all clear and there will be days when his scalp is covered with nasty stuff. The Pd said the condition is harmless but my baby seems to be bothered by it. He scratches his head all the time... I suspect it is itchy for him and it pains me to see him like that! What can I do to help my baby? Anyway I can make him more comfortable? When would it go away?

capital is offline Banned
    When my son had it he scratched his head too. He also had it in his eyebrows. I think it was itchy, as when it went away he never scratched his head anymore. i put A LOT of oil on his head (olive oil) and rubbed it in well, and brushed it a lot. I admit I also picked it off. I washed he hair a lot too, if I skipped a day his head would smell so bad, but not sure if that was the cradle cap or the oil, I think it was the cradle cap. It was gone by 3 months though. I think they just outgrow it eventually. I have heard some people get a medicated shampoo for really bad cases, but not sure what is in that.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Have you tried Mustela foam shampoo for newborns? My baby only had a very light flaking at the beginning, but after the shampoo, the flaking went pretty quickly.

Druscila is offline Registered User
    My daughter had cradle cap till she was 9 months old. All I did is I got baby oil gel and a comb. I used the comb to take all the dead skin off then I put the gel directly on her scalp. When I started doing that, it went away in a matter of a week.

suzannal is offline Registered User
    My baby is now 8 months old, and he still has loads of cradle cap. I have tried putting oil for over a month, but it made it worse for some reason. Then I used the Mustela new born foam, which is ok, but he gets it on some days. However, they no longer carry this foam in HK, and I have to switch to another one soon. And my baby also has eczema, which just isn't going away no matter what cream I use :-(

ELT
    Another mum recommended a shampoo called Bran. Will get it from Watson's today and see if it works.

CRADLE CAP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ELT
    all signs of cradle cap disappeared since bb was around 4 months. yoo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!