Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First family trip to Hong Kong

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Strollers on the MTR - a topic I am painfully familiar with!
    In a nutshell: Possible, but has its challenges. BBjorn a much better option. Basically, if you are travelling with someone else and can carry the stroller occassionally, you'll be OK. You can take it on the train, no problem - that's the easy part. After getting off, you'll need to look for a wide turnstile (unless you lift it) marked with a disabled sign. Not always easy to find.
    Many stations have elevators; some do not. See this link for details: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/disabled.html
    If you decide to use the escalator, just be prepared to be faced with stairs up to the street.
    Hope this helps. I've just had the most frustrating week of my life being 30 weeks preggers with a 13 month in a buggy on public transport.
    Don't get me started on buses!

capital is offline Banned
    Definatly bring a stroller. HK is not stroller freindly inthe way north america is, but still a very usable and necessary piece of equipment. be prepared to have to carry the stroller up and down stairs sometimes, take it on escalaers (something I did all the time in HK but would never ever do in Canada). I never had problems taking the stroller on the MTR, but I was always with someone.
    On our first trip to Hk with a baby (3 months old) I didn't bring the stroller, only the baby bjorn, thinking it would be too crowded for my big full sized graco stroller. needless to say we ended up buying a really cheap little stroller, which was terrible, because I didn't notice when we bought it that the wheels didn't swivel. Never buy a stroller with wheels that don't swivel, especially somewhere like Hk where sudden turn are common. We have now bought a small light weight stroller to use when travelling, it took me awhile to find one because I wanted one that had an umbrella, reclined and had a basket, and not that expensive.

The problem with the bjorn is that when out for many hours, as you inevitabley end up doing when on vacation, it was not that great for when the baby slept. I much prefered the stoller for that. I have an ellaroo mei tai carrier, and it is a lot more comfortable and I can wear the baby a lot longer with that than the bjorn. If you baby is in the high teens of weight, or heavier, you probably won't be able to carry him for that long.

Taxi's are another story. I would wear the baby in the carrier, even though I know logically that is was unsafe, but I didn't know what else to do. Mostly I prayed everytime in a taxi that we wouldn't be in a crash. I am still really uncomfortable with that issue. I would never even dream of going 1 block in Canada without the children bucked into the car seats, but what can you do in Hk? If you child is in the infant cariier car seat, then that is easier but if in the full sized seat????????????????Not at all possible.

jurassicdad is offline Registered User
    Kashismum and Capital, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your responses. They totally help us out a lot. Capital, do you hae any suggestion for the airplane ride? I have a co-worker who traveled to France a few times. He says that its a terrible experience, but you just have to deal with it. Is that the general consensus?

rvc
    rvc is offline Registered User
    We flew to Hong Kong when our daughter was 7 months old. I was very nervous for the flight but she slept pretty much from take off to landing with just a few uneventful wakes to eat. She did have her own seat though which helped.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    re: flying w/ baby

This is a summary of my recommendations (needs to be updated)
    http://ihome.ust.hk/~lbcaplan/hkbb/flyingbb.html

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    loupou,

Thanks for sharing your recommendation. It's very useful. I have added it to my favorites.

capital is offline Banned
    The flight probably won't be that bad. The younger the baby the easier it is. If your child is under a certain weight. (not sure the limit) you can ask for a bassinette that snaps onto the bulkhead, if you have bulk head seats. I am doing a trip to Hk with an 11 month old and a 3 year old in February, I expect that to be a terrible expereince. What I am really worried about is the time change. That is a killer. I have to admit, for me I am so concerned about the lack of sleep and dealing with 2 little ones who will only want mommy and not daddy, that I am not even looking forward to the trip. So if anyone has any advise on dealing with jet lag I'd love to hear it.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Keep in mind that the gates/turnstiles to get to the KCR/MTR are about 20 inches wide. A lot of US strollers won't fit between them. Some grocery store turnstiles are even smaller, but you can avoid those.
    Our 7 month old has been flying since 3 months and is Gold Medallion with Delta and flights have been a breeze. However, he has no problem with the pressure changes. Some babies seem to be really bothered by the pressure and it will be worse if they have some sort of inner ear problem. Have a bottle handy in case takeoffs and landings are an issue.
    Also, Korean Air is really overboard with the seat belt warning and every time they put that warning on the baby has to come out of the bassinet which is a major headache.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast