Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First family trip to Hong Kong

jurassicdad is offline Registered User

First family trip to Hong Kong

Hello my name is Jeff and I am new to this site. I am very lucky to find this because it looks like it is run out of Hong Kong. I hope someone out there will be able to help us with our stressful dilemmas!

Myself, my wife, and our 6 month old daughter will be traveling to Hong Kong after Christmas Day. This will be our first trip together as a family. My wife, whose family is from HK, has been there almost every year of her life. She has taken me once. We are very scared, excited, anxious, nervous, and all of the above about taking our daughter there. We are worried about the long plane flight, the travel from the airport to our hotel, and getting to one place to the other.

Here are some of our questions:
    1) Does anyone have any recommendations on if we should bring a stroller, baby carriage that attaches to the stroller, no stroller?
    2) How hard is it really to have a stroller walking around in HK?
    3) Should we not bring one and just buy a cheap one when we get there and give it away when we leave?
    4) Our daughter has acid reflux, so she is on a special formula called Alimentum by Similac. Is that available to buy there? We are planning to bring about 2 dozen quarts.

Again, any suggestions would be great.

Jeff

peace is offline Registered User

Jeff --

How long will you be staying in HK? If you'll be here for a while (e.g. more than a week), then a stroller would be helpful. Will you be able to use a stroller a lot around HK? It really depends on where you'll be staying. There are parts of HK that are more stroller-friendly and parts that are not. Unfortunately, we live in an area that is generally not, so we are not able to use our stroller and walk around the neighborhood as much as we want. So for us, we use both strollers and baby carriers interchangeably.

I don't think I've ever seen the baby formula you mention in regular groceries/ supermarkets...perhaps other mommies/ daddies in this forum might be able to help.

Good luck with your forthcoming trip!

Thank you peace for the quick reply. We are staying there for 11 days. We are staying in TST at a service apartment next to the New World Hotel. We will be primarily around there and maybe go up the Jordan. We might take a trip to the HK side, maybe once or twice. What brands of baby food do you have there? We use one called Earth's Best Organic. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

you should not have any trouble with the stroller at all.

i believe that you can get earth's organic at bumps to babes on HK island, and possibly at citysuper near your service apt.

bring your stroller with you so that you can take it up to the gate at the airport. when you check in, tell them you want to take the strolelr with you to the gate (not sure if this is possible anymore in the usa) but i could do it in canada. not only that, but strollers that are suitable for your baby's age are quite expensive here.

i traveled by myself to canada when my son was 5-6months old. i dreaded it. but it actually turned out ok. it was much easier then than it would be now that he's near 2 years.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

I think HK is quite pushchair friendly. Since you will be with your wife, you can carry the pushchair if there are steps. TST is quite pushchair friendly. The Star Avenue is quite nice for walking, especially at 8pm every night for light show.

If you are worried, you may consider bringing a babycarrier with you. Places like Mongkok, temple streets, etc probably easier with babycarrier.

Star Ferry is puschair friendly to travel to HK Island. You can go to lower deck. From Star Ferry you can walk to many places.

Don't worry. There are lots of mums in HK who take babies out everyday, without any help, by bus, by tram, by taxi, by MTR or walking. The Peak, Stanley, Tai Tam, Kadoorie Farm, Shatin, Discovery Bay, Disneyland, Ocean Park, local markets, Mongkok, Causeway Bay... No problem!

Bumps to Babe 25227112 (+852) You may call them to check re formula.

Have a Happy Christmas!

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

Smile

You could have a look at the website for Park n Shop (a high street supermarket/grocery store). You could register for an on-line account and pre-order a grocery delivery to your serviced apartment for when you arrive.

http://www1.parknshop.com/WebShop/Home.do

You cannot access the full range of Earths Best here in Hong Kong, but as said before Bumps to Babes stock an range of mainly European organic brands.

You should probably bring both your stroller and baby carrier. The weather in Hong Kong is beautiful at he moment - perfect for walking.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

Just remembered the name of the other organic US branded baby food that Park n Shop sell; Gerber Tender Halves and Healthy Times. Again, it's rather limited, the full product range is not available here in Hong Kong.

Thank you again for all the responses. We are looking into all those markets you have mentioned. How hard it it to take a stroller on the MTR? Is it better to just fold the stroller and then carry the baby on the MTR? We are now planning to bring a small, but sturdy stroller and our Baby Bjorn carrier. Do we need to bring the carrier if we ride taxis?

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast