Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ooooch !

Coco is offline Registered User

ooooch !

Bubba is 11 eleven months old, I'm still breastfeeding her and was planning to do so until she was a year old - only 1 month to go !!!!!

In the last few days, she was rubbing her new tooth on my right nipple and as a result a little skin has rubbed off, so, everytime she feeds on this side it hurts. Then this morning whilst sucking on my right boob, she actually bit me ! It really really hurt and I was cross with her, and bubba looked really upset and unhappy.

I take this as a sign that she's weaning herself ? Shall I stop breast feeding altogether ? Or shall I grin & bear it ? Any similar experiences ? Was just wondering how do mums breatfeed till the toddles are like 2/3 !????

kashismum is offline Registered User
    No need to stop breastfeeding! She'll learn not to bite and you can continue to enjoy a nursing relationship for many more months.
    Read this previous thread: HELP!!!! Baby biting instead of feeding.

On the other hand, you imply that you may like to give up bf. If so, you may like to seek advice on weaning off the breast.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    You may find some helpful info from this link:

http://www.lllhk.org/

My daughter started to bite me when she was 5 or 6 months old. I wanted to give up too! I know how you feel. It's really painful!!! However, I learnt from LLL leader and other BF mums some tips to stop that habits which you will find from the link that Kashismum gave.

I BF my daughter till she was 25 months (she is 26 months old now) and I am glad that I didn't give up early.

Good luck and Happy Christmas!

joannek is offline Registered User
    if you want to give it up. then read some books recommended by lll about weaning before you decide. sometimes you want to wean cos nobody else you know is still nursing their babies beyond their one year old mark. her biting you is NOT a sign that u should wean her. esp if she shows that she was upset about hurting you. she will soon learn it is not funny to bite if you follow the suggestions in the above threads. sometimes, bub just wanna try out how it is to use their new tooth on mommy!! my baby bit me only twice. the first time i actually bled! if you nipple hurts cos there's a wound, try rubbing some lansinoh cream on. it helps it heal.

you have been nursing your bub for nearly a yr now, i'm sure you're starting to enjoy it. it's a special bond between the 2 of you which will eventually end (i mean, in the next few years, latest?)

personally, i do regret weaning my baby at 15mths....

capital is offline Banned
    My first got teeth at 8 months, he only bit me a few times, my second got teeth at 5 mnths, he bit me quite a lot for a couple of weeks. I just end the feed if he bites, he soon learns biting=no food, then I'd wait about 15 minutes or so, then resume feeding. People feed babies who have teeth all the time, it is not a reason in of itself to wean, unless you want to wean anyways. i fed my first for 20 months, my current baby is 9 months, I will feed him until he is 2 or self weans earleir.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    I nursed my son for over 2 years. He bit me too and it was a very painful wound. But he learnt that if he bit me then he wouldn't get to nurse so he stopped very quickly and it was no problem at all.

Coco is offline Registered User
    thanks everyone. at first i thought that maybe she didn't want my breast anymore. I'm planning to bf till she's one.
    joannek - you're right, all my frieds have stopped bf quite early on. but I continued.
    i'll read the treads and see how it goes.
    have a lovely x'mas !

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Coco, if you plan to nurse your child longer, may be you need more friends who are doing the same thing. It helps if you know other mother friends who are doing the same thing, going through the same things and understand you.

After I joined LLL, I know that I am not alone (you don't have to be a member, you can just attend their meetings). Whenever I felt low or discouraged by soooo many "comments" I called or emailed LLL leader or those mothers who are still nursing and talked about it. I felt better afterwards.

Besides, if you are going with mothers who BF too, you don't feel so "lonely" or uncomfortable to BF your child in the public (especially BF toddler)

Enjoy BF your child!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Scroll to top