Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heater for Babies room

pattersl is offline Registered User

Heater for Babies room

Hi,

This is my first winter in Hong Kong and my baby is 12 weeks old. I keep getting told that the weather will get colder so much that I will need to purchase a heater. Still having troubles believing this due to the sunny days we are getting at the moment.

Any suggestions on a safe heater that i can use in my babies nursery? (have never purchased a portable heater before)

Thanks

pattersl

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Hi. It does not really get very cold in Hong Kong, the lowest probably 8-10C, but only for a few days at the most. I don't think you really need a heater going on thru the night in the baby's room, since it gets really dry once the heater starts going. I find that a grobag and sufficient clothing under is enough. But I would recommend a heater when your baby takes a bath, cos it does get chilly going in and coming out. I use Innotec ceramic heater, it's quite good, plus it has a thermostat and comes in different sizes, depending on the size of room you want to warm up.

Yan
    Yan is offline Registered User
    I agreed with AndreaY, that we need a portable heater for the baby bath time. But make sure the heater type is ok for the wet area.
    I am not sure the ceramic heater is ok for the wet area, but definitly the oil radiator heater is not for the wet room.
    I had the heater fan for the baby bath time. But I only used it on last winter, becasue my baby was just newborn at that time. I don't use it this winter because I brought the oil heater on her bedroom.

Need or no need for the heater really depends on how cold of your apartment. My apartment is quite cold during winter time, that's why I need one.

cckwok is offline Registered User
    I use Innotec ceramic heater too. Agreed with AndreaY, it's good. With programmable temperature control. I use it in my baby's room. U can it from Jusco & Bumps to Babes

pattersl is offline Registered User

ideal room temperature

Thanks for the advice we bought an innotec ceramic heater which is great due to the thermostat.

You cannot use it in the bathroom but since bathroom is off the babies room we just leave the door open.

Not sure how many times we will get to use it as our flat seems to keep quite warm. Still 20 degrees at night in the babies room.

Isla is sleeping in a long sleeved body suit then sleep suit witha 2.5 tog gro bag on top. Even though her room is 20 degrees her little hands are very cold when I go into feed her at 11.00.

Is 20 degrees too cold for her room?

Thanks
    Patters

joannek is offline Registered User
    according to the grobag instructions, it's OK. but if babies hands are cold in the middle of the night, i first start to put on socks the next night (under the sleep suit). her hands usually warm up after that. i know it's the hands that are cold, but the

joannek is offline Registered User
    keeping the feet warm helps keep the whole body warm. if that doesn't work, i let her put on a undervest.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    20C is not too cold, it sounds like your baby has enough clothing on her and she has the thickest grobag on. With our baby, I followed the clothing suggestion chart which came with the grobag, and initially thought that it would not keep baby warm enough, but she seems fine with it. To tell you the truth, I was more worried about all the articles I read about keeping the room and baby cool enough to avoid cot death than her cold hands. Also having cold hands is not an indication of whether a baby is cold (can't remember where it was I read that now), as long as her body is warm, she is fine. But if you are worried about it, you can always put a pair of mittens on her. Mine hated anything on her hands once she discovered her thumb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast