Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How much meat per day for 11 month old?

eplo19 is offline Registered User

How much meat per day for 11 month old?

My daughter is almost 11 months old- do I need to give meat at each meal? If I give her tofu at that meal- that replaces meat right?
    What is your average schedule of feeding for a 11 month old?

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    My daughter has 7-8oz of milk when she gets up, followed by breakfast, either muesli, yoghurt or scrambled egg with toast finger. Then she has 1 bowl of thick congee with meat/fish and veg, a little mashed fruit and about 3 oz of diluted juice for lunch. I then offer her milk after afternoon nap, sometimes she has 2-3oz, sometimes none. At about 4pm, she has 1 rice cracker and 2-3oz diluted juice. Then for dinner, she has 1 bowl of baby food with some veg and also some mashed fruit and diluted juice. Before bed, she has about 6-7oz of milk.

joannek is offline Registered User
    my daughter refuses to eat meat, so i give tofu, soya, cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs, beans, high protein pastas (like quinoa, spelt)

one baby serving is the same size as her/his palm size (excluding the fingers, only the palm!). i give mine 1 serving of protein, 2 carbs & 3 vegis at each meal (for 11 mth old - protein at 2 meals. usually lunch & dinner. for breakfast i usually give carbs & fruits)

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I do give a portion of protein at lunch and dinner - meat, tofu, lentils, eggs, cheese - as long as it's protein.
    As for portion size, I would be guided by your baby. I shovel food in until she turns her head away. I try not to give too much water before/during a meal as she'll fill up easier on fluid.

AndreaY- how old is your baby?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaY View Post
    My daughter has 7-8oz of milk when she gets up, followed by breakfast, either muesli, yoghurt or scrambled egg with toast finger. Then she has 1 bowl of thick congee with meat/fish and veg, a little mashed fruit and about 3 oz of diluted juice for lunch. I then offer her milk after afternoon nap, sometimes she has 2-3oz, sometimes none. At about 4pm, she has 1 rice cracker and 2-3oz diluted juice. Then for dinner, she has 1 bowl of baby food with some veg and also some mashed fruit and diluted juice. Before bed, she has about 6-7oz of milk.

sorry, what exactly is muesli and where can I buy then?

Nula is offline Registered User
    I tended to give my children at that age mainly protein in the form of lean pork, fish, chicken, beans, dairy. They would get lean red meat (lamb, beef) rarely. I used the palm sized method as well to work out portion sizes.

Here is something Dr Sears wrote re meat that may be of interest to you.

"Red meat contains large amounts of saturated fat. While it's true that dietary fat is an essential source of calories for growing children (at least 40 to 50 percent of calories in a child's diet should come from fat until the age of 2), not all fats are created equal. The saturated fats in red meat, dairy products, and some oils contribute to heart disease and obesity, while the monounsaturated fats from nuts, olive oil, and canola oil can actually help lower the amount of artery-clogging cholesterol in the blood. Since poultry has less saturated fat than red meat, it's a good alternative, however the fat in seafood is the healthiest for people of all ages. Fish provide an essential fatty acid called omega-3 which your body can't make. These omega-3 fats, (found in the greatest concentration in oily fish such as salmon and tuna) are especially valuable for children, since essential fatty acids are a vital structural component of the rapidly growing brain and central nervous system.

Another problem with red meat is it's very low in fiber. Toddlers and preschool children often have a problem with constipation, so they need a high-fiber diet which red meat does not provide. Even the quality of protein in red meat ranks below the protein of egg white, fish, and dairy products. I'm also concerned about the effects of the muscle-building hormones and infection-killing antibiotics that are fed to beef cattle. These substances have never been proven safe, especially for growing children.

If you do decide to give your child the occasional bit of red meat, try to serve it in small portions and not as a main course. Also, make sure to choose the leanest cut and trim off all the fat you can see. Of the popular cuts of beef, "select" top round has the lowest amount of total saturated fat. When cooking meat, broil it instead of frying to remove more of the fat. And instead of buying straight hamburger, choose the leanest piece of beef you can find and ask the butcher to grind it into hamburger for you.

But there's no question that the healthiest diet for both children and adults is a pesco-vegetarian one — a diet high in vegetables and seafood."