Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

night wakings at 10 almost 11 months!

noella is offline Registered User

Gosh I could be reading about my own almost 11 month old!!! I have resorted to Gina Fords routines and touch wood on day 4 we have gone from 5 wakenings to one. Unfortunately she is an advocate of crying it out but what can I say it has worked for us!Good luck!

kashismum is offline Registered User

Noella - congrats! Once you can sleep through the night, your quality of life improves drastically. I found that once my 10 month old slept through, the time I spent with her during the day was more enjoyable.

'Crying it out' gets a very bad wrap, but there are degrees. Like many babies, my (exclusively bf) baby was waking 2-5 times at night at 10 months - the only thing I could do to put her back to sleep was to nurse her. So, I tried a little 'Ferberizing'. To my amazement, she slept through on the 3rd night! The first night, we had one session of about 40 minutes of crying, the second about 20. But, it's not continuous. We left her for 5 mins before going in to lie her back down and soothe her. Then 10 mins, then 15 mins. She soon soon managed to get herself back to sleep without our intervention.

I know it's a controversial subject, but it worked for us and I really don't think it was cruel. It's worth a try at least. I feel for those mothers who have toddlers still waking at night; I know I would have had a breakdown by now if I was still nursing through the night.
    Just my thoughts...

Kimmi is offline Registered User

There is also another great book Im reading now called "Nightime Parenting" by Pediatrician Dr William Sears. He has 6 children of his own, one of them 'high need', like my bub. He explains in his book the long term affects on a child of the "crying it out method" and suggests other ways of helping your bub to sleep through the night.
    In the end though, you have to do whats right for you and your family. Good luck

Last edited by rani; 01-17-2007 at 08:00 AM.

noella is offline Registered User

Thanks Kashismum nice to know other people go through what we do!!

ChipMama is offline Registered User

Hi All,

I have an 8th month old who has been waking up for the past 2 months at night. He was such a sweet baby since 2 months sleeping through the night. However, in the last 2 months, he is crying 2 - 3 times at night in a dreamy state. We can't seem to soothe him back to sleep. The only thing that we can do is to wake him up and hold him for awhile. Once he is awake, he stops crying and goes back to bed immediately. But I feel bad that we have to interrupt his sleep like this to get him to stop crying. He looks like he is crying in his dreams since his eyes are always closed. And he looks like he wants to go back to sleep but couldn't.

Can someone please help me in this since I am running out of reasons to know what is going on with my son? (I had checked all of teh usual reasons - too hot, too cold and hungary.)

Thanks!

ChipMama

Kimmi is offline Registered User

A very good article to read on 'controlled crying'
    www.naturalchild.org/guest/pinky_mckay.html

funnychamp is offline Registered User

I heard the wives tales that when you are playing with the baby too much in the day time like making the baby laugh all the day, can caused the baby has bad dream and he will have sleepless night... well.. that's what my mom used to tell me..

eplo19 is offline Registered User

so, what is the ferber method ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast