Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Baby Bath Product Which One Is The Best

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    You don't have to spend a fortune to find something that is gentle and non toxic for your baby.

A giant tub of emulsifying ointment from the pharmacy or some sorbolene cream will only cost about $50, double as both cleanser and moisturiser (dissolve a little in the bath water ), they won't irritate sensitive skin, will help control excema and don't have unnecessary ingredients that can lead to allergies.

But, even sorbolene is not necessarily safe ! ;)

'Sorbolenes may appear to be great value-for-money, at only $3.95 for 100g, however many consumers do not realise the majority of sorbolenes are made from petrochemical by-products, such as mineral oils and paraffin, and are designed to act as barrier creams."
    http://www.vegesorb.com.au/sorbolene.html

and this:
    "Additive ingredients to avoid in sorbolene so that it is failsafe are: Menthol/menthyl, aloe vera, green tea or herbal extract such as eucalyptus oil, camphor, oil of wintergreen or peppermint oil all of which may contain salicylates and cause a skin reaction"
    http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...Facteczema.htm
    "
    So, what's my point?

There is no one "best" solution to find products that are good for your kids and yourself. Saying "natural = good" and "human-made = bad" is too simple. On the "factexczema" site, one of the posters said that the best cream for her child was one that was developed by the Royal Children's Hospital that was a 50-50 mix of different types of parrafin. Other people might find it wouldn't work.

So, IMHO, better to try standard products that are not very expensive and see how your child reacts to them. If there is an adverse reaction, try something else.

I guess if one is really afraid of any sort of additives or so forth, using a few drops of olive oil in the bath and then some to moisturize the little one is also an inexpensive and relatively safe way to go. The ancient Greeks and Romans used olive oil instead of soap.

Matty is offline Registered User
    "Additive ingredients to avoid in sorbolene so that it is failsafe are: Menthol/menthyl, aloe vera, green tea or herbal extract such as eucalyptus oil, camphor, oil of wintergreen or peppermint oil all of which may contain salicylates and cause a skin reaction"

I guess thats why you should take 10 secs to turns the container over and read the ingredients before you buy it.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

I guess thats why you should take 10 secs to turns the container over and read the ingredients before you buy it.

Absolutely! And if you object to petroleum based products, avoid most of the plain stuff too.

But then again, it's likely only to be an issue for people w/ problem skin conditions.

My kids (when babies) loved me rubbing them w/ a moisturizer that had a bit a lavender oil. When they got to be pre-schoolers, to get them to be more willing to take a bath, I would let them shake a couple of drops of lavender oil into their tub for the "nice smell". If they had had skin problems, I might not have done it.

Same thing w/ putting mentholatum on their little chests when they had colds as pre-schoolers. If they had had a tendency to skin sensitivities, I would not have tried it.

petshe is offline Registered User

Physiogel

You can get Physiogel at the Mannings or Watson's which have Prescription counters - extremely wonderful cream!

joannek is offline Registered User
    physiogel is also petrolutum based, though.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Aromababy products are supposed to be nice as well.

katyw is offline Registered User
    Besides *Burts Bees* I can highly recommend *Dream Wash* from Lush. I've been using it now on my 1 year old for a month and it's gorgeous. Completely natural and great for skin conditions such as ezcema as this was the main reason I made the switch. Their *Dream Cream* is also fantastic!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I use Seba Med's baby range (shampoo and body wash) on a regular basis, followed by QV cream. When it's winter and dry, I switch to Gentle Natural's Baby Eczema wash and body cream (works wonders but I have to order from the US). My DD has really dry skin so I will also add a sachet of Aveeno Oatmeal bath every now and then for her. I also have the California Baby Cold & Flu body wash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123