Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

how much should 16mth be eating?

kellyst is offline Registered User

how much should 16mth be eating?

my 16mth old has been on this schedule for almost half a year now. although i think she eats quite a lot already, she's growing thinner, i'm not sure if we're still not feeding her enough. she's not that good of a eater, needs lots of entertainment to eat, but nonetheless, finishes her big bowls of food and milk most of the time. on the other hand, if she saids she's full, i generally believes her and stop feeding, i don't want to put her off eating.

schedule looks like this

wake up - 8 oz milk
    9am - Fruits, tho missing this out most of the time now, as she's waking up later
    10.30am - 5 oz milk
    noon - 1 big bowl of pureed vege/meat/rice
    3pm - 8 oz milk
    5.30pm - 1 big bowl of pureed vege/meat/rice
    8.30pm - 8-9oz milk

she's about 21lbs now at almost 16mths, on the low side, but not horrible i guess, paed keeps saying don't worry, and babies don't need to be fat.

so i don't know what else to do. what do you give your babies as snacks in between meals. we've only been giving her small biscutis and puffs, not very nutritious.

i'd like to get some good and yummy snack ideas. am i feeding her enough?

carang is offline Registered User

if your paed says ok, and she's happy and content, then why worry???

my son is about 25 pounds and is just over 23 months old. he is one of the happiest, most active kids i know.

yummy snacks would be fresh ruit and veggies! she's old enough to have some of the veggies raw, like cucumber or celery or carrot sticks, even brocolli!

and DON"T miss breakfast! even if you cut back on milk and give her yoghurt or bread, but don't skip it!

ps. by 16 months, she shouldn't have everything pureed anymore, she needs to get used to the real texture of food. (we stopped puree-ing around 12-13 months, my son had 8-10 teeth by then.)

gigi is offline Registered User

My girl is 16 mths old and she also weighs 21lbs. Her schedule is very similar to yours except that she only has two milk intake everyday. In the morning I always add 2.5ml Enervon-C in her formula milk, which is a high-potency B-complex syrup with vitamin C, A & D. In between meals I will give her cheese, biscuits or dried fruit. Right after dinner, I will also feed her either with yoghurt or fresh fruit.