Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

circumcision in HK?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

circumcision in HK?

Hi all... I'm just curious to know what the stance is on circumcision here in HK? Is it a routine procedure or is it something you have to specially request? I've just been thinking about the "what if's" lately. Namely, what if our baby turns out to be a boy, will we or won't we get him circ'd? We haven't made a decision one way or another yet, I'd like to do some more research first.

If anyone has any info on how dr's in HK feel about circumcision, or if you would like to share any personal experiences, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
    All the best,
    Katie

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User
    I think it is something you have to specially request. I did ask my paed about it. He said if there is no infection or cause to circum, better leave it as it is. So if you really insist, you need to tell your doc about it. For my son, I leave it as it is for the time being. Hope that helps.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    From a purely practical point of view, once you've decided you want it done:
    If you want it done for religious reasons, see the/a rabbi.
    If you just want it done, find a doctor that will do it for you. I believe they do it at the Matilda. It's not routine, but plenty of people choose to have their boys 'done'.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Same answer. My Dh was interested in the procedure when ds was born, but the paed. said unless there was a religious reason for us to do it, our son didn't need it. So, we didn't.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    We have decided to circumcise our son. We consulted 2 Pds and they are both neutral about the issue -- They said it's the parents' decision.

Both Pd recommended us to do the procedure after the boy is toilet trained (pee) and before he goes to kindergarten.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

We had our son circumcised for religious reasons not by a Doctor, but by someone trained to do circumcisions. He was a month old when he was circumcised and it was very painful! Was suppose to be done when he was 8 days old but we travelled abroad for the circumcision so waited until he was a month old which was a mistake; if we have another son we shall have him circumcised at 8 days and not a day over!

However in a matter of hrs after the circumcision everything was fine, and he was our happy little baby boy again! It also had healed by the second day after the ceremony which was very fast!

We had the go ahead from a ped. before we went through with it. If you are doing it not for religious reasons then I would reccomend the Matilda also. Am not sure how circumcisions are done here. For example, our son had no anasethic (apart from a numbing spray and wine!) because apparently it is difficult to judge how much a small baby will need for such a small area. Others refuse to do it without anasethic. The most important thing is that there are no cuts, and no bleeding- because that's what leads to infections which you don't want.

If for religious reasons am more than happy to provide details of Mohels who are willing to travel to HK.

rani is offline Administrator

Talking

2 moms in my pregnancy group were planning to have their boys’ circumcised. Dr Ghosh was one's OBGYN and he was supposed to do it, but once the father held the little guy, he changed his mind. :) The other did it on day 3 at the Matilda. I think it was Dr Rulin Fong that did it. Another friend had her son circumcised through the public system, but it was much later at 5 yrs.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all of your insights... I will have to talk it over w/ dh. As he has access to the medical community (he's a 4th year at HKU med school), I'm sure he can find more info for it as well. We are going through the public system, but it doesn't sound like they really want to deal with it...
    All the best,
    Katie