Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Part-time moms

kellyst is offline Registered User

Part-time moms

I'm working full-time now. Sometimes it's ok, i enjoy my work and feel like with the extra financial contribution, life is a lot easier and we have a lot more choices in life with me working. But of course, i do miss my 16mth old sometimes, and working full time means that i only spend 2hrs at night and the weekends with her.

I have a very good opportunity now to go part-time with my current company. my boss supports me on that, i could do 50-70%, on a pro-rata basis. so that means maybe spending 1-2 more days at home each week. with a bit less pay but it's all pro-rata.
    I know a part-time opportunity might sound perfect, but now found myself having second thoughts, i give up some perks/benefits as full-time employee to gain 1 or 2 days out of the week with my 16mths old. it's such a dream opportunity and i can't believe i'm having second thoughts, but cutting back on the income (however much it is) is always daunting....

I am going back and forth on this, i'm not sure how much different would that 1-2 days make for dd and me. are there any part-time moms in the same situation that can shed some light? a lot of times, i feel this decision is more for my sanity than for dd, she's doing fine with helper and grandmas taking care of her when i'm at work.

I also want to look up a good book for women balancing work and home life, any suggestions?

msmslau is offline Registered User
    I think PT is better only if you are a hourly employee. If you are salaried-paid, working PT sometimes can become like a FT and you lose the perks and benefits. That's why most of my friends opt for either being a FT mom or FT worker. Alternatively, have you tried asking for telecommuting from home 1 or 2 days? This can save your commute time for your daughter. But some moms feel "guilty" for working at home and over-compensate by working more hours.

It is difficult to strike a balance. Something has to give.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I work part time - 3 days a week. I love it. I think it provides a great balance between work and home life. At three days, I feel I'm still giving four days to my two daughters and I have the opportunity to drop & pick up from school, do activities together, etc that I would not be able to do if I was working full time.

On the financial side, only you can decide what works for your budget. For three days a week I am paid 60% of a full time wage, which I think is reasonable.

What perks are you giving up? For me I get all the usual benefits (medical etc). I have essentially given up the career path & promotions, which I find frustrating, but one day my company might move into the modern age.

I am very strict on the amount of work I take on. I'm happy to be flexible for a large project that might require the odd 5 day week, but otherwise, no way. I am quite confident that I can complete things in a timely manner and I know how long they'll take me. I have no problem with telling my boss if I have too much going on.

For me, working from home would not work. When I'm home, my girls want MUMMY. Who can concentrate on anything with children in the house? Mine are far too noisy and demanding.

You may find that when your daughter is older, your presence at home is more important. She'll miss you (her primary care giver) more. Also, only parents can discipline. This is so important, especially for the upcoming terrible twos.

I say - GO FOR IT. Your company sounds great. Wish mine was as supportive. I really had to push for part time work and they hate it.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

jane may i ask how old are your daugthers?

i agree that as she gets into the terrible twos, it might be more necessary that i'm there. i'm also finding that she's less willing to take naps and even sleep in the evening when i'm home. it feels like she's asking for more time with mommy. she'll let me hold her on the rocking chair when i put her to bed but just won't close her eyes. i used to rock her to sleep quite easily at night, but no matter how long i hold her now, her eyes stay open, and i had to leave her in her bed for her to cry herself to sleep lately. very hard for both of us.

as for perks, the general guideline says that 'everything' will be pro-rata, so not sure if they'll pro-rata medical as well. anyways, will give it some serious thought, thanks so much.

miaka is offline Registered User
    my bb is almost 4 mos and i just took on a pt that lets me work from home and bring bb to the office if needed. these were my termsbc they're only this age once, i didnt want to miss it. i can always do full time and contribute income when bb is in school. that's just my take.

funnychamp is offline Registered User
    I mostly have time for my family during the morning time and evening time, before and after office time.. such a hectic, but keep trying to manage everything...