Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anyone Hire a Filipino Helper Recently?

rani is offline Administrator
    DrCookie,

HK Immigration usually takes 4-6 weeks. It's this new training policy in the Phillipines that has got everyone confused. SCMP covered it last week and the Consulate has said the training is only 23 days, but it includes Cantonese/Mandarin and some of the helpers are afraid they will not be able to pass the test. The cost of the training is HK$1600 and if they fail they need to re-take the test, which is around $160. Not sure how many times they can sit for the test.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

rani is offline Administrator
    HKForNow,

The newspaper clipping said the training was 23 days right? Just found an online article stating its only 3 days.
    http://www.gmanews.tv/story/28032/PO...experienced-DH
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    I have a friend who has just got her helper and the training is only 3 days but you then have to wait for a certificate before they can book a flight.

It took me 3 months to get my helper here and it has taken my other 2 friends this long as well. We all found that immigration was 4-6 weeks but it was the phillippine consulate and other things like this course that held up getting the helper here.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    my agency said a way to expedite the approval process is to show proof that you are expecting a baby or need help urgently. I didn't provide any proof but my helper's visa was approved within 4 weeks after I submitted all paperwork.

debs is offline Registered User

Urgent application

In response to ELT, recently I left it a bit late to start the visa applications for my new helper (4 weeks prior to when we needed her to start). The agency supplied me with the form to ask for a speedier consideration as we have 1 child who needs care during the day when I was at work and I was also 6 months pregnant and could really do with the help. The request was totally ignored and it took 8 weeks to get my new helper back from the Philippines...thank goodness for grandparents to bridge the gap!

kellyst is offline Registered User
    so so far.. aside from the timing, seems like agency fees and practices has been staying the same?

LittleLams is offline Registered User
    kellyst, can you pm me the details of your maid agency. seems like they have pretty reliable and good maids since you have been using them for ages.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    LittleLams, pls check pm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast