Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anyone Hire a Filipino Helper Recently?

bexterHK is offline Registered User

RE: Hire a Filipino Helper Recently?

Our helper says that this programme is basically a scam designed to make money for the Philipino government as the course fees go straight to the government. She said that the Philipino helpers in HK have been protesting this corruption.

Given the corrupt state of government affairs in the Phillipines, this wouldn't surprise me.

ggrizzy is offline Registered User

the training is only 3 days and only mandatory for helpers coming to hk for the first time. for those helpers returning to the philippines for their home leave, they will need to take an assessment test (hk$160) which will be valid for 5 yrs. if they fail, they can take the test repeatedly until they pass. this will be enforced from 1 March so if your helpers are expected to arrive before 1/3, they should be exempt from this. we got this info from a man who answered the phone at the philippines consulate in hk this friday afternoon. (we called because we finished processing a visa for our new helper (who had just finished a contract in hk, and returned to manila for her home leave on thursday. we are expecting her to come back and start work with us on 13 feb. her visa only took 9 days to process in hk.)

hope this helps!

rani is offline Administrator

Grizzy,

Thanks for the update. Did you helper pass the assessment test? Are they forcing the helpers to take the language tests too?

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Twinsmammie is offline Registered User

Grizzy

Going a bit off topic - how did you manage to get your maid's visa processed in 9 days? I've been waiting since 22nd Jan and my agent told me I cannot contact immigration until a file number is issued. Would be grateful if you could share your experience. Thx in advance.

first off, my helper who is has returned to the philippines since 1 feb for her holidays has already called me and said that apart from the OEC cert ($36 hk), she didn't need to take any assessment tests so we expect her back on 13 feb.

secondly, many apologies for my dates! she finished her contract on 22/1 but she went to submit the application for the new contract on 17/1. they gave her an appointment on 31/1 to pick up her visa. i did write a supporting letter to request speeding up the process as i'm 4 months pregnant and my second helper was due to leave my home on 7 feb.

my first helper, due to go home for her holidays at the end of march, just told me after her day off that experienced helpers in the middle of contracts are exempt from any assessment tests. so i guess if you sign for any helper that is already in hk, it may help!

ggrizzy

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Can anybody send me the contact of a reliable agent for helper?? Urgently need one. Thanks a bunch!!

if that is the case, i think i'm lucky because i processed the application for the helper while she is waiting in hk, and she only went home for her leave after she has already got the visa from the hk immigration.

maybe it's wiser to hire directly from hk instead of from the philippines??

kellyst is offline Registered User

cyberyoda.. pls check pm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast