Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pregnant & moving to HK!

ne31096 is offline Registered User

Pregnant & moving to HK!

Hello, I am new to this website....

After 4 yrs in London, and 6 months in California, we find we are moving to HK this April! I'm quite happy as I love living abroad, however things are more complicated now - we have an 11 month old and are expecting a baby this July 2007. Last time I was in HK was in 1980's so I am in need of some advice please.

Question 1: Can you please provide any positive/negative feedback about either Matilda Int'l Hospital and Canossa Hospitals? I need to choose between one to give birth at, but only know what I've read on their internet websites.

Question 2: I know this question has been asked in previous threads, but I'll ask again - Other than nappies and medications, anything else I should stock up on for a newborn and 11 month old? Does Mothercare there have the same goods as in the UK?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but will try to read up as much as I can beforehand!

Many, many Thanks,
    Jennifer

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I gave birth at the Matilda three months ago and I only have positive things to say about it! During my pregnancy I spent time at both the Canossa and Adventist but chose the Matilda to give birth in, and am so glad I did!
    The nurses were fantastic, and the support given for breastfeeding was excellent! The rooms etc. are wonderful and the food very yummy! I felt like I had a lot of support but at the same time I was calling the shots where my baby was concerned. I hate hospitals but never once while at the Matilda felt I was in one, which for me was a plus (although a friend chose not to give birth at the Matilda for that reason, she said it was too much like a hotel and she didn't feel comfortable with that!)
    The only time I wouldn't reccomend giving birth at the Matilda is if there are likely to be complications with your baby, but if baby is healthy etc. then should be no problems.
    Is of course expensive- my bill was just over $100,000 for semi private room and emergency c-section, but if you have insurance as we did, then not a problem.

I had a five day stay at the Canossa while pregnant- nurses were very experienced but it just doesn't compare to the Matilda!

I would reccomend visiting both hospitals, so as to get a feel for both, and also speak to your obstetrician, because it also depends where they are registered to deliver babies.

Mothercare here is ok- the main problem being the shops are so, so small and so they can only carry ltd. stock. They have most of the essentials however and they are more than happy to order things from the UK. Sometimes if you can't see what you want in the shop it's a good idea to ask and they often pull it from somewhere!

Anything else I can answer, just ask!

ne31096 is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your new baby Beky! Hope you are recovering well and getting some rest. Thank you for your detailed response. After reading more posts around this website and your feedback I think I'm starting to lean towards Matilda. Of course when we get there I'll definitely do hospital tours to finalise the choice. I had an emCS as well and your hospital experience sounds like my first baby (born at the Portland in the UK).

Sorry for more questions - Do you know if Matilda offers hospital-grade breastpumps (like Medela) for rent? If we ended up living in, say the Mid Levels, how long would it take for a taxi to get to the hospital? I can't seem to find it on any maps and get the feeling it's quite a ways.

Jennifer

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Not sure about the breastpumps, you could e-mail them, they are pretty helpful.

Mid Levels to Matilda in a taxi, would depend on the traffic up to the peak, and depends where exactly in Mid Levels- anything from ten to 25 mins! But I came from Discovery Bay to Matilda and had no problems! Had to get on ferry, then taxi etc.

jools is offline Registered User
    Welcome back to Hong Kong. I bet you find alot of changes since you were here in the 80s.

I've given birth at the Matilda twice now and had a fantastic experience both times. I would thoroughly recommend it. As has previously been said the staff are great and the food when compared to say the NHS in the UK where my first child was born...well let's just say there are no comparisons. I call it The Hotel Matilda. You may also want to look into having a doula. We did and it was one of the best decisions we made. We had Hulda from Annerley Midwives, who again I can thoroughly recommend.

I know that they have breastpumps at the Matilda, but I don't know whether they are for rent. They also have a dedicated lactation consultant, should you have any issues that you need help with. I thought with my third that I would know how to breastfeed, no problems, since I had done so twice already. However, he had his own set of issues so it was great to have someone on hand.

I too came from Discovery Bay, no problems, so I think from the Midlevels you should be OK.

Best of luck

Jools

rani is offline Administrator
    Welcome to HK.

You can rent hospital grade pumps from the private mid wives or from http://www.meridianhk.com.hk/
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com