Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Test for Group B Strep

clare76 is offline Registered User

Test for Group B Strep

While I was in the UK over Christmas, there was quite a lot of publicity about Group B Strep as they are trying to make the test part of routine check-ups for pregnant women. I asked if I could pay for the test at the MCHC next to Tsan Yuk but they said to ask my GP. So I asked my GP but they don't do it either.

Has anyone had the test and if so, where? Or has anyone done anymore research than me and decided against it and if so, why?

Thanks
    Clare

Mother Goose is offline Registered User
    Hi Clare,

I had this tested during my antenatal check-up at my ob-gyn office when I was carrying my first child. Once you're tested positive, you'd become a carrier for life. In my case, my doctor just gave antibiotics right before the second child's brith. You can ask your ob-gyn about this.

Hope this helps.

Mother Goose

Matty is offline Registered User
    Most of the private OB's do this test as routine.
    If you have the infection there is a chance your baby will catch it during delivery, which puts them at a high risk of developing pnemonia.

If you are using the public system you can do a one off visit with a private Dr (Dr Dawkins was my Dr and he is excellent) at about week 36 from memory.

Thanks for your advice - I'll contact Dr Dawkins.
    Clare

capital is offline Banned
    Group B step is common to have, but rare to cause a problem in babies, but when it does cause a problem it is very deadly. It can cause a very serious infection usually apparent within the first week of life.
    If you are positive, the treatment here is to give minimum 2 doses of IV antibiotics to mom when in labor. You get the antibiotics every 4 hours until you deliver, so if a long labor you may have more than 2 doses. If you have a short labor and only have time for 1 dose or no doses, then the baby has to stay in the hosptial for I think 48 hours so they can take monitor the temp of the baby. If no problems you then go home, If problems then of course they treat the baby with antibiotics. In Canada it is a routine test. The doctor takes a swab of the vagina and anal area. It is painless and take 1 second. It is done very late in pregnancy, close to when you deliver because you can go from being a carrier to not being a carrier. Once a carrier, NOT always a carrier. In canada the test is offered to all women who are pregnant even if they were already positive in a past pregnancy, because this time they might not be. I was negative with my first and positive with my second. I only had time to have 1 dose , so we stayed 2 nights in hospital instead of the one night. I was only hooked up to the IV when the medication was actually going in, then they would lock the IV the rest of the time so I could still move around freely without dragging a pole along.

Thanks for the info - very useful. Does anyone have a phone number for Dr Dawkins? I can't find it on the Internet.

phs
    phs is offline Registered User
    Hi, sorry i cant tell you where to get a test done here in HK but i had my baby 20 months ago in the UK and i did a Strep B test just to be safe and because someone a friend of mine knew was +ve for Group B Strep and never knew and then the baby got ill 2 months after and got meningitis which was probably linked to that, luckily things didnt go so bad but the child has hearing problems now from the meningitis.

Anyway i did the test when i was 37 weeks pregnant, and what do you know i was +ve for Group B Strep too, but that was fine, during my labour i was given iv penicillin and then we had to stay at the hospital for 48 hours after birth so they could monitor both me and the baby, everything was fine, but persoanlly i feel better or safer for having done the test. Theres no risk involved, just a swab test. check out this website www.groupbstrep.org

Matty is offline Registered User
    Dr dawkins details are:

Dr Robert Dawkins
    715 Jardine House
    Central HK

2715 4577

[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast