Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Essentials for Baby

carang is offline Registered User
    i never had them, i just used a hand towel that i already had.

joannek is offline Registered User
    is gentle cloth detergent essential for washing baby's cloths?
    if you're might express milk & feed in a bottle, is a sterilser essential? or you can always just boil the bottles in a big pot of water. & sth to wash the bottles with.... most of the things that come to my mind are nice to have.

essentials:
    - clothings (sleepsuits of the smallest size -0 mths & some 0-3 mths, under shirts, some warmer sleepsuits or overvests if it gets colder), swaddling blankets or grobag.
    - somewhere for the baby to sleep. i prefer a baby cot, so there was no need to transit from basket to crib. cos some babies are fussy & dont like there sleeping environment changed. fitted bedsheet, water proof mattress protector
    - nappies :disposables or cloth (if cloth, then sth to wash them & dry them)
    - breastmilk (breastpump - electric or manual? i suggest for the 1st month, you rent the medela electric. i doubt if a 1st time mom will be able to use a manual pump. i was freaking out when i start pumping my breast by hand with a manual pump cos i never thought my nipples could be pull out like that....) or formula (if formula, bottles & sth to clean them - brush? bottle cleaner? steriliser?)
    - if breastfeeding - lansinoh cream to protect your nipples (this is an essential for me)
    - car seat (i'm all for car seats, i've never held my baby in a car)

nice to have:
    - baby bath towels (cos adult towels are sometimes too big & too thick to grab baby firmly after bath), face towels, bath tub, bath rack/sponge to keep baby's head out of the water, bath sponge, baby bath gel, baby body cream & face cream.
    - heater for the bathroom if weather is cold
    - change mat & change table that can be converted into a drawer/dresser
    - stroller
    - baby sling/carrier
    - muslin cloth to cover the shoulders of the people who'll be visiting you & want to hold your child & as burp cloths
    - cotton buds/balls to clean baby's tongue & ears & nose
    - cotton pads or baby wipes to wipe baby's bottom at nappy change
    - massage oil for baby's massage
    - nail file or clippers to cut baby's nails
    - mitten to prevent baby from scratching their face.
    - socks to keep their little feet warm
    - side sleeper to keep baby's sleep position
    - snuggle nest if u wanna let your baby nap in your bed during the daytime.
    - nursing pillow
    - room thermometer
    - nice soothing music for you to listen to while you nurse
    - a nice warm shawl for your shoulders when you get up for night feeds
    - nice warm socks for you
    - some absorbent pads for your bed for the 1st week after giving birth to keep your beddings clean
    - extra absorbent & comfortable sanitary napkins for you
    - gentle clothing detergents for washing baby's clothings
    - air purifier in baby's room.
    - a refrigerator to store bm
    - a thermos to keep hot water to a)warm up breastmilk (or you can buy a bottle warmer) b) mix formula
    - a bottle steriliser
    - a bottle cleaner (brush?)
    ... and the list goes on.......

Polly is offline Registered User
    Wow! That's great everybody, thank you so much for helping with that. Carang, thanks for your tip about the changing mat/table. Think I'll just get the mat and use it where I like. And, Capital, again, thanks for the tip about the need/or lack of for a baby monitor. I'll hang back on that one until after baby's born to see if it's really necessary.

I've got a list together now and at the moment it's fitting on one page of A4, so I think I'm doing well!

Thanks again everybody, Polly

carang is offline Registered User
    good luck! i hope that you have enough $ left over afterwards for a mani/pedi for yourself!

have fun!

Roshna is offline Registered User

Baby Monitor

Just another take on baby monitors . ..

For us, we made sure we had it from day one - we were afraid of SIDS. A friend of ours had their daughter about 13 years ago. One night, the dad just happened to look into his sleeping daughter (in a bassinet by their bedside, it was a little past midnight) and he noticed she had stopped breathing. He picked her up and she coughed a bit and was fine after that. It gave them a scare.

The monitor we have has a sensor pad kept under the baby's mattress. If she should stop breathing/ moving for more than 20 seconds, an alarm goes off. I was secure and could sleep soundly knowing that i would be alerted by this should anything cause her to stop breathing. Gave us a lot of peace of mind and still does (she's 13 months now - not worried about SIDS anymore, just to hear her when she's in her own room).

bornandbredhk is offline Registered User
    Roshna,
    What brand of monitor do you have?
    Thanks!

joannek is offline Registered User
    it's called angelcare (i have the same one). i bought it at b2b. i also saw it in wing on dept store.

Roshna is offline Registered User
    actually, angelcare was not available in B2B when i needed it. We got the Tomee Tippe Suresound one. But I believe Angelcare is a better one. They had one model that came with rechargeable batteries - that's better. It also has much less static than Tomee i think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast