Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

GP Who Familiar with BF Mothers

ojekydumbo is offline Registered User

GP Who Familiar with BF Mothers

Hello,

does anyone know a good GP in Central who is familiar with BF mothers (in case I need medication)? Have been sick for few days (caught a cold and starting with a bit cough now) and getting very uncomfortable especially am still nursing full time for my 10 week-old baby boy ....

Appreciate your soonest feedback

carang is offline Registered User

i would hope that ALL GP's would be able to tell you what is ok for BF and what is not...

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Most over the counter medicine is compatible with breastfeeding. The main exception are decongestants. This is not because of the drug getting into the milk but rather because these drugs dry up bodily secretions and this could include breast milk.

I have a book. Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas Hale. This is considered the reference book about taking drugs while breastfeeding. It is much better than the books the doctor’s tend to use which are written by the drug companies and so always worry about litigation thus saying it isn’t advisable to use while breastfeeding.

Common cold drugs:

Acetaminophen (panadol, paracetamol, Tylenol) has Lactation Risk = L1 = Safest.

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) has Lactation Risk = L1 = Safest.

Aspirin has Lactation Risk = L3 = Moderately Safe – Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

Phenylephrine has Lactation Risk = L3 = Moderately Safe – Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

Ibuprofen has Lactation Risk = L1 = Safest.

If you would like to know more about these or other drugs while breastfeeding please contact me at 2548-7636 or e-mail [email protected]

Hope you’re feeling better soon,
    SARAH

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My GP is Dr. Sophia Kennelly. She isn’t in Central but I think she is such a good doctor that I’m willing to travel to Repulse Bay to see her.

Repulse Bay Medical Practice
    G116 Repulse Bay Shopping Centre
    109 Repulse Bay Road
    Hong Kong
    Tel: 2812 2677
    Fax: 2812 2739

I like her because she is friendly and down to earth and the fact she breastfed all five of her own children helps too.