Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Vaccinations, are they necessary?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    There is an American magazine called Mothering which looks into many controversial parenting subjects including whether to vaccinate or not. Their web site is www.mothering.com

They have an article called, In the Wake of Vaccines, http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...ines/wake.html
    which might answer some of your questions.

I find this a complex subject which is further complicated by the fact that in the USA you are only allowed not to have your child vaccinated on religious ground. So you either have to have all of them or none of them.

There seems to be many arguments which aren’t really to do with whether or not the vaccines work or not. For example, side-effects and whether or not mercury should be an ingredient.

I find it difficult to distinguish health improvements from a better medical services and other essentials, like clean fresh water, and those from vaccinations. Usually these improvements in our living conditions have happen together.

On the pro vaccine side, the smallpox story is one of how a vaccine has managed to wipe out a disease. The non-vaccine arguers, however, point at scarlet fever and say here is a disease with no vaccine that is no longer the killer it used to be.

Not really answers to your question rather just giving more confusion!

Best wishes,
    Barb

joannek is offline Registered User
    thanks barbwong, mothering is one of my favorite magazine. i'll check out the link. if there anywhere i can get it in hk?

I don’t know anywhere in Hong Kong that sells Mothering. I get my copy by subscription. It costs an extra US$10 to get sent here. I’ve found the mark up of shops selling overseas publications to be huge in Hong Kong that even if you could buy it here a subscription would probably be cheaper.

i read the article. this is exactly what i am worried about. i have been reading a lot about vaccinations, and the more i read, the more scared i am for my child.

I think when reading such articles it is important to question every statement that is made.

For example could there be other reasons for the high number of reported disabilities in today’s society?
    It seems to me that my brother and my son have almost the same problems with reading. My son has been diagnosed with dyslexia and is getting extra help whereas my brother was just labeled as thick. I do wonder what would have happened if my brother was at school now rather than 30 years ago. Likewise today there are many different levels of autism but in the past only the most effected where consider to have this problem.

Could the rise in these problems be due to something else which has occurred at the same time as the rise in vaccinations?
    For example there has been a huge drop in breastfeeding over the last 50 years. It is now well known that breastfed children are less likely to have asthma. This means that children who are formula fed are more likely to have asthma. This fact really biases the non-vaccine argument as mothers who chooses not to vaccine are more likely to breastfeed their children. Diabetes is another illness that we know is a much lower risk if you have been breastfed.

The article asks “And could we be compromising the integrity of our immune systems by eliminating all experience of natural infection?”
    One thing we know is that breastfeeding actually improves the effectiveness of vaccines and more antibodies are produced. So you could argue that it doesn’t seem to matter whether you get the illness or the vaccine the body will make antibodies if it is able to.

The infant mortality rate is much lower now than in the past. Could it be that because more children are living there are more to have chronic illness rather than acute illness and die?

Another interesting fact is that the infant mortality rate is much higher amongst the black communities in the USA than amongst the white middle class. But the white middle class are more likely to have vaccinated their babies. The white middle class are also more likely to have their children diagnosed with learning disabilities. This could be for lots of reasons – not just the vaccination rate. Is this because they need a reason why their children aren’t performing well or just because the authorities are more likely to listen to them?

The article also states, “Mothers taking their children to paediatricians to be vaccinated placed a blind trust in the complete safety and effectiveness of those vaccines.”
    But isn’t that the case with all medicines? When was the last time you were told the possible side effects of the drugs the doctor prescribed for you?
    I took my dog for an operation recently and the vet make a point of explaining that with a general aesthesia with dog may not wake up. Have you ever had a general aesthesia? I have twice – neither time was I or my family told this! But it is true for humans as well as dogs.

Lot of these sort of articles (from both sides) are just playing with statistics. And as a statistician I can tell you it is possible to argue either side with figures to back you up. The important thing is to read between the lines and question everything as I think both sides aren’t as open as they could be.

It is obvious to me that there are problems with having vaccines just as there are problems with not having vaccines. And I definitely think we should be fighting to make vaccines safer but so far no one has convinced me that the actual working of vaccines is hazardous for either my or my children’s health.

Best wishes,
    Barb

and the people who wrote against vaccines never said that vaccines don't work. they're only focusing on the other substances that are put in the vaccines - mercury (which i think the newest vaccines that our chldren are getting are the new batch that doesn't include the mercury), preservatives, etc.

before i take a western medicine, i do try to find out about their side effects. that's why after reading so many inserts of western medicines for the past 10-15yrs, i've finally decided that they are my & my children's last resort.

thanks for your inpur barb. i think you've been very helpful, as always. =)

engee is offline Registered User
    Joanne what have u decided?
    I agree with all the other moms too.Shud we take the risk?

i have decided to jab my daughter with her 2 yr o vaccinations, against the advice of her homeo doc. after extensive research, i do believe that vaccines work, despite the potential side effects & all those things that i don't wanna be in my daughter's system. i guess i will feel so much more secure with her vaccinated.

plus i yet have to asked the schools that i plan to send her to whether they accept a child who hasn't been vaccinated......

but then i haven't made her 2 yo check-up appmt yet....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast