Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How much do you pay your helper?

tutor1 is offline Registered User

payment

I don't know anyone that pays below $4.25K. Personally I think $4.25K is a bargain. For anyone complaining about being 'duped' or naive when negotiating, just imagine what you're entrusting an employee with.

You can always get help cheaper but as an employer I think it's really advisable to be self-aware: don't base your salary on how much of a bargain other women get, negotiate what feels right for you. If the house or family is larger, then there's more work involved. You really need to be fair not bargain oriented.

Good luck.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tutor1;
    I don't know anyone that pays below $4.25K. Personally I think $4.25K is a bargain.
    I just recently heard of someone paying $5K total for 2 helpers (sisters). Helpers talk....jeez! I don't know why anyone would take the risk.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

carang is offline Registered User
    just to clarify, i NEVER said that she was overpaying. i said that i hope she's happy with her helper for the price that she is paying.

i don't know many people that pay MORE than $4k. we just re-signed our helper and upped her salary to $3.75k she was ecstatic with that as we didn't even offer her a raise. she was willing to re-sign for the minimum. she was shocked when i showed her the contract.

we also give her bonuses when we see fit.

if we could afford to pay her more, we would. but we can't , so we don't.

andyNZ is offline Registered User
    we pay 3500 and she is worth every penny. we also let her do some training courses every couple of month and we pay for it. She loves it and feels very appreciated and we can see the motivational boost in the way she deals with our kids ...

cemily is offline Registered User
    AndyNZ,

What sort of courses do you let your helper take pls?

Besides Town Gas, anyone knows/recommends any Chinese food cooking course for helpers pls?

A new helper is coming in Feb 2008. She is supposed to be an experienced cook and helper. Been around HK for 18 yrs. Tried her food once, OK but not fantastic. Have a picky 4 yo eater, so would like to send the helper to some courses to improve her skills.

Back to the captioned topic. My current helper, honest and patient with my son but quite slow with work and careless (eg once closed the car door on my 4 yo son's fingers and very often I find fish bones in the fish fillets my son consumes!!) and I pay $3700 (she is entitled to $3280). I treat the $420 as bonus and I did take it away a few times when she smashed or lost some expensive items around the flat.

Tks

Rgds

e

barbiegirl is offline Registered User
    It is interesting to see someone will consider a helper good when she asks employer for loans even when she has been overpaid with higher salary, bonus, expensive presents, extra money at festival, and extra trips to home country every year.

Anyway, hope everyone here will treat their helper fair but at the same time be a smart employer.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Barbiegirl, I find your comments interesting. Being in the unfortunate position of having to ask for a loan does not mean that someone is not a 'good' helper or that an employer is being taken advantage of. I used to nanny in Italy and regularly got advances from my family. For me the money was for pretty trivial things as new clothes etc. When my helper asks for a loan I know it is because someone in her family back in the Philippines really needs it. The petty wrangling I regularly hear in HK over small amounts of money, holiday, 'spoiling' your helper etc. is frankly incredible. Performance based bonuses, perks and travel are a component of many jobs - no reason why it shouldn't be a feature of domestic help also.

barbiegirl is offline Registered User
    LeahH, my comment is based on experiences from friends and warning from dh agencies. Not to go thru every case here, one of my friends has a helper, and she thought her helper was honest. Once her helper cried and asked my friend for money because her mother died back in her home country and need money desperately, so my friend shown sympathy to her and lent her a sum of money. But some weeks later, someone called her helper over the phone, and it was her mother!! My friend was shocked and asked her helper for an explanation, then her helper just admitted that it was just a lie and she just wanted some more money to spend. You know, this is not just a matter of money, but it really ruins my friend's trust on her helper! We have been told by some dh agents that some helpers (not ALL of them) make up stories like family members died or seriously ill or accidents back in their country and then ask for money...,etc. and told us not to lend them money.

Again, I am not saying ALL dh do that, but it sounds not uncommon. And actually, dh agencies have given guidelines to the dh to follow, and one of those is that dh shall not ask for loans from employers. All dh should understand and follow these guidelines. When you work in a company, there are also guidelines and rules for employees to follow, and I think this also applies to dhs too.

I agree that if you think your helper's performance is good, then you can show your appreciation by giving her some encouragements like higher salary, bonus or lai see or gifts. As an employer, I also give my helper some extra money on special days because she is good one, but she never ask me for loans, and our relationship is good too. I just want to say that I don't encourage the idea of loans especially those initiated by the dh or dh constantly ask for this.

This is just my kind-hearted advice to the employers and don't mean to offend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123