Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Public Vs Private

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I think you are worrying unnecessarily. There are still seven or eight months before you have your baby – none of the hospitals will be full if you start your planning soon.

It is the very nature of maternity hospitals to have fluctuations in their numbers – it is very difficult to predict when someone will go into labour.

I have a friend who works on the maternity unit in the Matilda Hospital. She told me that last week there were so many mothers there that maternity had taken over four rooms on the paediatric floor but this week there were only five mothers in the unit.

If you are booked into a hospital they will take you even if it means finding solutions to the overcrowding situation. If, however, you aren’t booked into a hospital and you’ve left it to the last minute to find a hospital then you could have problems – or you may be lucky and easily find a bed.

The main reason that hospitals are telling people they are full at the moment is because of last minute mothers from China trying to get a place. With the rumour of restrictions starting in the government hospitals the private hospitals are getting overwhelmed with their applications. If you are a Hong Kong resident then you should have no problem booking into a hospital in time.

Best wishes with your pregnancy,
    Barb

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    Hi Bear,
    Don't worry too much. All you need to do is start thinking about which hospital to give birth in and then put your name down for your due date. You should be ok once you do that.

For the classes, you can call up and reserve a space near your due date. You don't need to pay for them until the first class starts.

Good luck!

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    I am really worried that I won't get a space as I am due april. However, not once have I been told I need to book a space at the hospital my obstetrician has not mentioned anything. I am seeing him this week and going to matilda so will see what they say. We have to go to matilda as our ob gives a discount there but not for other hospitals which means we can only afford matilda.

Its such a nightmare here, if I had known I would have made plans to go back to the uk and have the baby months ago.

rani is offline Administrator
    Just a thought, it's usually chaos before CNY as everyone is trying to have their babies before the New Year. Things should settle down in a few weeks.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    Oh dear, I am really sorry to have caused you all worries! That is the last thing I wanted to do when I posted this, but I just wanted to have some clarification and also warn others who weren't aware of this problem (like me).

Don't worry mothers-to-be, I am sure we will all be able to give birth at the hospital we want, so chins up!

Bubbly

cyberyoda is offline Registered User
    Just courious, why do you think everybody will try to have their babies before chinese new year?? What I heard is the opposite if they have a choice. But one cannot have the baby too early than their due date.

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    Bubbly

I spoke with Matilda today and they confirmed that you do have to book in advance, not sure about deposit yet. They also said that they were pretty booked for April when I am due but apparently my ob has already booked me in, something he does automatically.

Good luck with sorting your hospital out and thanks for making us aware of the situation otherwise I would never have known.

Nula is offline Registered User
    Apparently Matilda is now booked for May and June.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast