Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Public Vs Private

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

Just been to my OB for the first appointment. He told me the situation in private hospitals are really bad. He told me Canossa and HK Adventist are fully booked until July !!!!!!
    He advice me to book all the three private hospitals on HK island and then I could cancel later. He said he think the policy will possibly change later, so he reassure me that I will definitely can get in one of the hospital.
    One thing I really don't understand, why it seems that suddenly so many women want to give birth ? I had my first one last April, it seems that everythings went OK. If this situation is due to the mainland Chinese, does this means more and more of them comes to give birth in HK ?

Bear Lau:

hermoine is offline Registered User

Bookings

I don't understand, unless you are sure you are going to have a C-section, how can you book a place? I mean, how do you know exactly which day you need to go to the hospital? I am so confused!......

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

hermoine - I too was very confused a couple of days ago and am due in 10 weeks. Apparenlty your ob/gyn will book you into the hospital for your due date the hospitals then know approximate date you will be coming in and they juggle places accordingly at the time. Obviously you still run the risk that you happen to have a very busy day and won't get in, not sure what happens then.

I think this is a problem that has only arisen recently because I knew nothing about this and neither did a friend of mine who is due in a few weeks time. This has probably caused panic and everyone is booking into their hospitals way in advance, I am sure it will calm down eventually (otherwise we will be booking before we know we are pregnant!!!!)

Not sure what happens if the hospital you have booked into is too full to take you - where do you go if you have not booked any other hospital - will QMH still take you - surely they cannot turn you away at the public hospital if you are in labour and have nowhere to go.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

and I thought HK has the lowest birth rate among asian cities!

carang is offline Registered User

if you have a hkid card, then QMH will NOT turn you away...

carang is offline Registered User

i think that a lot of what is happening now with the hospitals being "fully booked" is just scare mongering...the press is having a field day with the story and then as someone said earlier, people start booking 2 or 3 hospitals, so they will have "choices". they do this without a thought to the ramifications for others who then are unable to secure places...it becomes a vicious circle and everyone loses.

what i'm trying to say is, if all else fails, you can "resort" to a gov't hospital. it might not be 5* accomodations, but the baby will be delivered safe and sound and the medical care, which in my mind is far more important than whether or not you have a massage chair in your delivery room, is the best in HK.

woodk6 is offline Registered User

I have been told by my Dr that the Adventist and Matilda are full for April. Which is upsetting because I told her from the beginning that I wanted to deliver at the Matilda. So she will call when I go into labor and if both of those are booked then she'll send me to a government hospital. I can't say that I'm pleased.

rani is offline Administrator

There's an article in the NY times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/wo...pagewanted=all

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast