Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Epidural or not

joannek is offline Registered User
    bubbly, altho my hynobirth didn't exactly succeed (cos i did need epi, the point of practicing hynobirth was to have a drug-free delivery). but it still helped me slept thru most of my contractions, and when i arrived at the hospital, the nurses didn't know that i was already so far off in labor cos i was so calm. she was shocked when she checked that i was 3cm dilated.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Hi Joannek

I did a Hypnobirthing course with Annerley Midwives.
    I stayed at home until I was 8cm and my husband coached me.
    I also had Louise from Annerley midwives popping in and out to check on me.
    At QMH it was just me and my husband, who was brilliant.

My baby was also in a bad position at the beginning of labour and I used different positions (hands and knees, sitting on birth ball) to move him which worked well.

You really need to practice the techniques as early as possible in pregnancy so you become completely comfortable and confident with them. You also need a supportive companion.
    My husband said all the right things at the right times to keep me relaxed.

With the exception of medical emergency I wouldn't do it any other way.

Another woman that was in my class didn't even realise she was in labour for the first 10hrs! She thought she had an upset stomach and cramps and was using the techniques to help with that.
    She didn't make it to QMH and had to go to a closer hospital to deliver!

i was hoping hubby would be my coach but he doesn't want to be (cos he didn't believe it would work!!). so hopefully with annerley's success rate i can convince my husband to give it a try next time.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I once attended a lecture given by Michel Odent, the doctor who started water births in France. He suggested that we shouldn’t have any men present when we give birth and that it is traditionally the role of other women to help the new mother.

This seems a little extreme in today’s society but I can understand where he is coming from. My husband was interested to be at my births but wasn’t into actually helping. If your husband doesn’t feel confident as a coach it would be better to find someone to help you who is. Maybe having a doula to assist you at the birth would be more helpful.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

oh yeah, a doula would be perfect. thanks for the idea, Sarah!! he was actually being very supportive for being their. i know he was quite nervous when i was in the labor room. and he later said he is glad he was there with us when little J was born.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

Smile

On the speeding things up/slowing things down thing....I didn't have pain relief with either child and only had to push for 20 minutes on my first and 10 on my second, so I'm going to try to avoid intervention again this time, as I think the pushing part is tougher than the contractions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123