Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

at 2.5yrs

joannek is offline Registered User
    it's tough to be a 1st time mom..... cos i am one too....

so you don't have any friends who have small children? you will soon when he starts going to kindy... are you gonna send him to kindy?

and don't be so tough on yourself... every child develop at different pace, and i'm sure they all eventually end up knowing the same things at 10.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

You *are* joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by engee View Post
    Hello,

I am a SAHM of a 2.5y old son.I wanted to know what all should a child of 2.5 know?
    i mean other than the upper and lower case alphabets and numbers,months of teh yr ,days of the week or rainbow and colors....
    being a SAHM i think i am responsible to do anythn in my capability to teach him all that is needed.
    What else do you mums suggest?
    he hates the addition and subtraction stuff.i tried the solar system nd telln the time but it din seem to click.
    nope i am not the mum expectn miracles or anythn like that.i just tot that i shud be able to do/teach somethn gud.thats all.
    You *are* joking right, talking about a child who is not yet THREE years old?

Let's see, when my kids were 2 1/2 they could say their names and other people's names. They could ask for food and drink in English and basic Cantonese. They probably knew colors, they definitely knew what they liked and disliked. :)

Numbers? I doubt they could recognize them written down.

Letters? Maybe a few from looking at pictures when we read books together.

Rhymes? They could recognize my singing some songs and rhymes. They could do the hand movements and sing along with "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and similar songs.

The could use the toilet & feed themselves. They were good at climbing and playing and liked playing with and watching animals.

If you are expecting to teach a child of 30 months addition and subtraction, I really recommend that you learn more about children's development.

This web-page would be a good place to start.
    http://www.zerotothree.org/brainwond...nts-24-36.html

engee is offline Registered User
    "If you are expecting to teach a child of 30 months addition and subtraction, I really recommend that you learn more about children's development."

Hey hey Loupou now that mail pissed me off a bit.I am not expecting anythn from my little bundle of joy,okay?
    i have very clearly written in answer to Joanne what my post was abt.
    and as i see she and the others have understood what i meant.And i thank them for understanding and being supportive.

i have read that link before but thanx anyway.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Didn't mean to get you upset

Hi Engee,

I didn't mean to get you upset. It's just in HK & S'pore there are so many parents out there w/ quite unreal expectations of their kids and getting nervous about needing to do the flash-card sessions w/ the toddlers, and you wrote:

"...other than the upper and lower case alphabets and numbers,months of teh yr ,days of the week or rainbow and colors...."

That kind of set my alarm off - because most kids will not be able to recognize upper and lower case of the alphabet until they are over 5 years old. Same w/ memorizing the days of the week, months of the year, etc. Seems more like stuff for kindergarten than a child who is not yet 3 years old.

So, I was concerned that you did not know what was considered "normal" and that you might be anxious that your toddler could not do those things, and might be feeling frustrated.

You also wrote:
    "he hates the addition and subtraction stuff.i tried the solar system nd telln the time but it din seem to click."

This is also way above what normal 2.5 year olds can understand; or even a 4 year-old. That's why I thought more information about child development might help. Again, I'm sorry if you felt put-down; I was sincerely offering help and suggestions.

carang is offline Registered User
    my boy will be 2 tomorrow. we bought him the playdough set with the letters. he can pick out about 5 or 6 of them... the first one was "m"... this is because his favourite treat is M & M's... so he sees the letter quite frequently. he's also interested in the writing on our t-shirts, so if he points to a letter, i tell him what it is... i don't push hime to learn it.

for counting, if he goes wee in the potty he gets 2 treats, if he goes poo he gets 5... so he learns to count up to five in english and cantonese. it's the same when we get into a lift, i always point out the numbers as we go up or down...he's starting to pick up on them, but often gets the english and chinese mixed up. we also count down from 10 every time we go through a tunnel. first we do it in one language as we approach the tunnel, then in the other language as we get close to the end of the tunnel.

he's now helping with our new bundle of joy and helps us get the nappies/wet wipes out. we tell him how many wet wipes, then help him count them.

when we play with puzzles, we always talk about the pictures on the pieces so that he can point out the different objects when i ask him. he's just starting to say the names himself though.

when we watch tv or movies, he names everything he sees and so do we. we were watching "lady and the tramp" last week and at the beginning lady is a puppy and is howling by the door. my son pointed to the dog, and said, " dog, no, no, yai yai, shhhh!" which i was quite impressed with.

i too agree that at this age, learning about your surroundings in a fun and natural way and being given the proper names for things rather than the "baby" names is the best way to teach your child.

i've know 6 year olds in Hk that have suffered from "burn-out"... so just relax and enjoy this time with your child.

it's not like your child is 10 years old and still unsure of his/her name (THAT would be something to be worried about!)

joannek is offline Registered User
    so, carang you had your baby already? congrats. & happy bday to your son tomorrow. mine just turned 2 last wed =)

carang is offline Registered User
    yep thanks! she's happy and healthy and i'm feeling SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

engee is offline Registered User

Thanx

Thanx Moms and its alright Loupou.
    There is however one important thing i wud like to say.My son loves all this stuff and there is no fact in sayn a child has to be 5yrs to know the alphabets and all.As far as i have read kids learn a lot of things at small an age.I dont recommend Shicida method or anythn but parents practise that too and that also involves fun.Nothn is being thrusted upon the little ones.Learning shud be fun at home especially.
    Thanx again for the posts.
    I hope this winds up this topic !!
    engee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top