Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Father/ baby visits not allowed in hosptial?

kerkermui is offline Registered User

After SARS, all private hosptals wont allow father to visit the bb after birth, of cause, except room in for private rooms.

joannek is offline Registered User

that's not true, in adventist, matilda & hk sanatorium, my friend's babies were allowed in the rm as often as the parents wish for double rooms.

kashismum is offline Registered User

kerkermui, did you mean public hospitals?
    There is plenty of confusion over this. The rules did change after SARS but they seem to be changing again with the overcrowding problem.
    The only way to get an accurate picture is to check with the source(s) - all private hospitals will have their own rules.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

At Matilda, Adventist babies are allowed in semi private/double rooms as often and as long as you want (24 hrs if you so wish).

kerkermui is offline Registered User

I am sorry.. then I may be confused by Union's staff.
    as far as I know, Bapt/St. T/Union still not allow room in.
    for Union, they are not planning to change in back (as before SARS) due to manpower reason!

dacia is offline Registered User

I delivered at Union in 2004, post SARS. If you have a private room, the baby will be pushed into your room and your husband and everyone else can have contact with the baby.

Other than that, babies will be kept in the baby room where the mother can visit as often as she likes. I was encouraged by the nurses to see the baby every 4 hours, to breastfeed the baby, and also to change the diapers and all. Feeding a newborn can take up to an hour because they fall asleep easily, so I had a lot of contact with my baby.

I delivered by C section and was in a 2 bed ward so i had to force myself, with the pain on wound and all, to walk from my ward to the baby room the day after delivery to see the baby. It was tough, took me an hour to get out of the bed but I guess it's best for the baby as the chances of the newborn getting infection from the public is reduced. If all the fathers and mothers were allowed freely in and out of the baby room, who knows what kind of viruses the newborns will be exposed to. There is an incubation period for viruses and we don't even know we're carrying them. Not everyone will remember to wash their hands before carrying a baby.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Because of the way breastfeeding works it is actually safest for the baby to be with the mother rather than in the nursery. As soon as the mother comes into contact with a germ she will start to make antibodies for that particular germ in her milk. If the baby is with the mother then every germ the baby comes into contact with the mother does too and so the baby gets the protection.

If, however, the baby and mother are separated it is possible for the baby to come into contact with a germ that the mother hasn’t and so there will be no antibodies in the milk to protect the baby against that germ.

This is the reason that in some hospitals mothers of premature babies are encouraged to lick the skin of the baby. So that the mother can start making antibodies for any germs that the baby has come into contact with in the hospital that the mother hasn’t.

The mother will already to have antibodies to all the germs in her home and so unless the father has been away for his germs too. So it is better for only the mother and father to handle the baby.

Remember that the germs in hospitals tend to be stronger than the ones in our homes – so to be the safest it is better for no medical professionals to touch the baby, although this often isn’t practical.

SARAH

Matty is offline Registered User

It seems each hospital has it's own policy.
    I delivered at QMH in September and my baby was with me on the public ward the whole time.
    My husband ( and other visitors ) were only allowed on the ward during visiting hours, but my husband could stay for a short time with me to help settle in on the ward immediatley after the birth.

He was also with me for the entire time in the delivery room, and the staff allowed us to stay there for an hour after the birth for some private time with the baby.

I had had all these wishes written out for the staff in a birth plan, so they knew that is what we wanted and were happy to accomodate us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast