Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Father/ baby visits not allowed in hosptial?

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Unhappy Father/ baby visits not allowed in hosptial?

Hello,

We were just infored by St. Teresa's that after the birth my husband, the father, would not be able to hold the baby until we check out from the hospital. For the first 4 days while i recover from my c-section, he can only view the baby through the glass. Is this normal and common in HK hospitals?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    No! That's not normal! I had a c-section at the Matilda, my husband was present at the birth, cut the cord etc. He then took the baby upstairs with the ped. to be weighed, bathed etc. while I was stiched up.
    I was in hospital for five days and my husband spent all day, every day with me and our baby ( he went home at night) in my room (semi private). He was encouraged to bath the baby by the nurses etc. And for the first day I was semi immobile so he was the one changing our son and bringing him to me in bed.
    I have never heard of that before, it sounds ridiculous!

carang is offline Registered User
    even at the gov't hospitals fathers are allowed during visiting hours...

sounds completely ridiculous to me too! i would be kicking up a HUGE FUSS!!!

joannek is offline Registered User
    it sounds ridiculous. newborns need the most is human contact!! are you sure that's what the rule is? it doesn't really make sense. i know in adventist, the dad's are not allowed in the baby room. but once the baby is pushed out of the baby room, anyone is allowed to touch or carry (up to the parents decision of course)

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    Are they crazy? Who will want to give birth in St. Theresa?
    My baby born in Canossa, my husband holds Juliette before I have a chance.
    Ridiculous. Go to other hospital.
    Bear Lau:

arismom is offline Registered User
    I delivered in Baptist and they encouraged fathers to be there. My husband was with me throughout - from the c section (the whole process) to feeding, to even staying overnight too (we had a private room) as he wanted to be there to help while I breastfed our daughter.

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Thanks for all the Replies! some clarity

Hi all. Thanks for the help. Yes, we have confirmed again with the hospital. The father can be there at birth but once the baby makes it to the baby room, only the mother is allowed in the baby room to breast feed the baby. The baby cannot leave the baby room until check out and consequently the father cannot visit the baby.

We called Baptist and they said that the rule has just changed as well at the end of last year and here too the father cannot visit the baby. So the 3 hospitals we are getting no visitation rights from are Union, St. Theresa, and Baptist.

Ladies, if we are missing something here please let us know. Sounds crazy to me too but can't figure out how we are getting the wrong message.

Even a prison allows for conjugal visits :).

Also, confirmed that Yes Matilda can see baby. And Canossa the father has 3 one hour sessions per day to see. This sounds somewhat reasonable.

arismom is offline Registered User
    Hi. I delivered in Baptist in Sept 2006 - my husband was allowed in then. Do you mean they have changed the rules since Dec 2006??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast