Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Extraction of tooth with sedation

sumadhav is offline Registered User

Smile Extraction of tooth with sedation

Hi,my 7 yr old son is scheduled for an extraction at Dr.Raymond Lee's dental clinic on Friday.The doctor is going to use IV sedation.Has anyone used this method for extraction of your child's tooth?Would like some assurance that it is a normal procedure.I have to get it done and I have no way out of it but just a little panicky about the IV sedation.Thank you.

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    Hi sumadhav
    Ive worked as a Dental Nurse in England and Australia for over 20 years and most of my experience is with children. In my experience if we were to do extractions for children in a clinic it would normally be with inhalation sedation (gas and air) which is basically the same what is used when women have babies. In a hospital setting a general anaesthetic would be used. I know now its getting popular to use IV with children and I think they basically use a Valium based drug. In the UK and Australia if IV was used, there would normally be an anaesatist present during the treatment. Hope this helps

Cici is offline Registered User
    We go to Dr Raymond Lee as well.
    My 5 year old also had IV sedation done over a year ago. Unfortunately when we were in Austrialia my boys were petrified of the dentist, so it was nightmare to get them to brush and go for a visit. By the time we saw Dr Lee, one of his baby molars had really decayed, so he had to have it taken out and I was all for the IV sedation (had it done myself when I had a wisdom tooth removed by Dr Lee). The anaestist that did myself and my son is was really nice, Dr Cartis or cutis (can't remember)?? Anyway, to this day my son can't remember having his tooth pulled out and his happy to sit in the dental chair and let Dr Lee do cleaning and small fillings on him WITHOUT injections, so I would say, for my son, it was well worth it.

babyd0ll is offline Registered User

Unhappy re: Dr Raymond lee

I've been avoding (more like dreading) going to the dentist but reading all the good things written about Dr. Raymond Lee here has given me some courage.

Cici, could you pass me Dr. Raymond's contacts please? Thanks.

On another note, since I am still bf my lil one how will that affect my treatment? The last time I visited the dentist was when I was pregnant and she asked me to come back after I had given birth since she was afraid of stressing the foetus. I have a feeling I have a tooth extraction lined up but not sure if I can take drugs while bf.

Hi babydoll
    I'm sorry I can't help you with the bf question, but I do know that Dr Lee told me not to have any dental treatment in my first trimester (I wanted to have my teeth bleached for my sisters wedding), so ended up with a cleaning instead. Anyway, have a word with him and see what he says as I'll be in the exact situation as you in November, but hopefully won't need to have a tooth pulled out *touch wood*

ooopps, forgot to give you his contact details
    room 402 Hing Wai Building, 36 queens rd central. Its the building above body shop- also the same building where Dr Phillip Ho is.
    phone 2521 1663

cha-cha is offline Registered User
    i had my wisdom tooth out with Dr. Lee whilst B/F. he gave me some pain killers which were safe to use. but because the pain wasn't that bad i didn't end up taking them.

i was very surprised at how quick i healed, given that the tooth and wound was massive. my colleague had an extraction at another clinic and he said he hurt for a week.

babyd0ll is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the replies. Cha-Cha, how much will the extraction cost?