Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mini freezer for rent in hk?

bunx2 is offline Registered User

Smile mini freezer for rent in hk?

does anyone know of any place that provides appliance rentals? i have run out of space in my freezer for breastmilk and would like to rent a small freezer for short-term usage over the next few months.

anyone with info would be much appreciated!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Doubt it. A small one from Fortress won't cost much.

yes, i have looked into that, and its only about $3000 to purchase one. but its not the cost i am concerned with. i just have no space in my home to keep it long-term, and i feel its such a waste to buy it, use it for a few months, then discard

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Sorry I have no ideas about a freezer. But I just wanted to check with you that you know it is fine to keep breast milk in the fridge rather than the freezer for up to seven days.

LLLI’s web site has articles about Human Milk Storage at http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstorage.html

One idea is to store the milk in bags a rather than bottles. Another is to freeze the milk in ice cube racks and then put the frozen cubes into bags or tupperware boxes. This might use up less room in the freezer and therefore let you store more. This method also allows you to defrost small quantities to feed to your baby so that you don’t have to waste any milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Why not buy one, then sell at a lower price a few months later? The money you lose might be equivalent to what you would be prepared to spend on rental, if that existed.

thanks, jennyb, that's also another option. but i have found, in hk, its not always easy to resell items, especially something as bulky (and unusual) as a freezer. (i couldn't even find owners for my furniture posted on asiaxpat when i moved flats, and i was giving it away for free!)

CherA is offline Registered User
    Hi all - would like to know in fact how long breastmilk can be stored in a freezer (normal freezer that we use in HK and NOT the deep freezer). I'm going back to work and have stored a number of bags in the freezer. Wish to know if they are already expired.

Also, what is the best hygienic way to thaw and reheat the milk from the freezer?

Appreciate your advice. Maybe Sarah from LLL could give me some advice too if you are reading this? Thanks!!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Human milk can be frozen for up to three months in four star freezer (i.e. a fridge/freezer with a separate door for the freezer).

To warm the milk:
    Thaw and/or heat under warm, running water.
    Do not bring temperature of milk to boiling point.
    Shake before testing the temperature. Shaking will also redistribute the cream into the milk. (It is normal for stored milk to separate into a cream and milk layer.)
    Do not use a microwave oven to heat human milk.

Two good web sites that answer a number of questions about using breast milk are:

What are LLLI's guidelines for storing my pumped milk?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Storing Pumped Breast Milk: a Q & A Forum with Dr. Ruth Lawrence
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...e_anwers1.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast