Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise on breastfeeding problem

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Advise on breastfeeding problem

hi mummies,

need some help on how to avoid blocked milk duct n how to clear it? I been feeding my baby regularly but still, will get milk duct occassionally. And once got it, fever will come as well. I really need some advise on how to relieve the pain asap.

Thanks!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    The main solution for plugged ducts is nurse frequently, rest and apply heat to the tender area. It is import to keep the milk flowing. So if you are not breastfeeding then you will need to pump or hand express. Otherwise get the baby to drink every one and half to two hours. Are the lumps painful? It is normal for your breasts to have some lumps when breastfeeding but pain is not normal.

You may be interested in the articles from LLLI about Breast Problems and Pain, http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBbreastproblems.html

Changing positions is also very helpful. The baby’s suck is strongest at the chin. Thus try to get the baby’s chin on the lump or in that direction. You didn’t mention exactly where your lumps are but often they are on the outside or at the top. If so, one way is to lie down and place the baby on top of you. This way the baby can move round, like the hands of a clock, and you can get the baby’s chin where you want it.

Another useful position, but one that is difficult to keep for more than a few minutes, is to lie the baby flat on her back on the bed and then you crawl over the baby and dangle your breast in the baby’s mouth. Gravity helps the lumps to come out when the baby sucks in this position.

There are lactation consultants who will massage your breast and try to express the lumps out. The two I know who do this are, Mrs Chee at 2705-9322 and May Hui at 7321-6968 or 9070-2668. But generally getting the baby to breastfeed is a better solution.

There is a long list of possible reasons why plugged ducts keep returning:
    Fatigue and stress
    Scheduling feeds
    Baby sleeping through the night
    Giving supplements
    Baby using a pacifier
    Mother having a too busy schedule
    Abrupt changes in baby’s feeding pattern
    Restrictive clothing
    Anaemia in the mother
    Overabundant milk supply
    Nipple damage
    Clogged milk pore (also known as a bleb)
    Using a nipple shield
    Baby who is periodically reluctant to feed
    Breast abnormalities
    Too much saturated fat in the diet
    Too much sodium intake
    Exposure to allergens
    Excessive upper arm exercise

If you find that the plugged ducts are return frequently you may like to consider taking a lecithin supplement. Suggested dosages are one tablespoon three to four times a day or one to two capsulate (1,200 mg each) three to four times a day (Newman and Pitman)

Sometimes mothers find they just have to take the lecithin for a few weeks and sometimes longer. One mother I knew managed to reduce the does to one tablespoon per day but whenever she tried to eliminate it completely the plugged ducts returned. As everyone is different you have to find your own level.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Thanks sarah for the useful advise. the blocked ducts is directly above my nipple. i tried using hot water to massage b4 feeding, but still couldnt relieve the duct. and becos of the blocked milk duct, i m hvg fever on n off. Now i m taking panadol for my fever.

I will try to use the position u suggest and hope it works. is placing baby on top easier or we on top of baby better? My baby is now 8mos old, and cos tat night she slept thru without feeding and hence i got the blocked ducts.

And where can i buy the lecithin? pharmacy?

I really appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

joannek is offline Registered User
    heat pad, warm towels on the place where you have blocked duct. put on the warm pads before you nurse your baby. his/her sucking your breast is most effective in helping clear block ducts. shaking your breasts when nursing also helps. also place baby's lower lip t the direction of where you have the blk ducts.

if you've got a fever, i think u've already got mastitis. so i suggest you call Mrs Chee (a lactation consultant who saved me, i had a lot of problems) 9417-6366. leave her a message & she'll call you back as soon as she can.

I think which position you find the easiest is a personal thing. I found laying the baby flat on her back and me crawling over lending on my forearms (between wrist and elbow) was the easiest.

You can also try pushing the lump out while the baby is feeding. Apply direct pressure on top of the lump as the baby is feeding. Another trick is to make your fingers back back from the nipple to the lump while the baby is feeding. This sort of clears the way backwards and sometimes that is helpful.

When you have a plugged duct and also a fever it indicates that lump has become infected. The treatment is the same. But if you have a fever for more than 24 hours it is advisable to see the doctor because your body may need the extra help of medicine to fight the infection.

Try health food shop for lecithin, it is a protein supplement not a medicine.

Hope you’re feeling better soon,
    SARAH

hi sarah,

tks, my fever has subsided but the blocked duct still not cleared. tried laying my girl flat while feeding a few times, but still cldnt cleared the duct. today is oredi the third day. still trying very hard.

btw, can i check, should i always feed on the breast tat has the blocked duct first? or should i alternate every feeding? i notice milk supply seem to drop when i have milk duct. Is it becos i keep feeding on one side hoping to clear the duct and hence, milk supply fall?

Tks,

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Please do give Mrs. Chee a call, she helped me and lots of my friends who had blocked milk duct problem.

If your baby is breastfeeding from the plugged side it is more likely that you feel there is less milk than this really being the case. When the baby drinks a lot the breasts tend to feel less full but in fact they are still producing lots of milk.

Try to feed the baby from both sides at each feed, as this way there is less time for the breasts to go between feeds. One problem that sometimes occurs is that because your feed so much on the plugged side the other side fills with milk and then that side gets a plugged duct too. So do try to balance out the feeds, some from each side to protect the other side.

One part of the treatment I’d like to emphasis is the rest. Often getting plugged ducts is the first signal that you are doing too much. Frequently mothers get their first plugged ducts around the four to six week mark when they are beginning to feel that the birth is behind them but they are doing just a little too much a little too soon.

Try to spend most of the day in bed with your little one – this gives you lots of rest and the opportunity to do nothing but keep feeding.

Hope you feel better soon,
    SARAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast