Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

EQ test?

HKfornow is offline Registered User

EQ test?

What is an EQ test? Where are these testings done? How does it differ from an IQ test and what does it mean for kids?

My son's teacher have mentioned that I should have my 3.5 year old tested as she indicated it would give us an idea of what areas he is more "gifted" towards. I was rather taken aback by the suggestion! What is this all about? Do parents really do this for their young kids? Doesn't it seem awfully young to be "pushing" the kids into a mold?

Am I being too laid back by not frantically signing up my son to all sorts of science, math, language, music & sports class? From some comments I get from my son's classmates, their kids schedule are jam packed with extra curricular activities. It's gotten to the point, I start feeling guilty when I let my son play with his cars/toys and not pushing him to "do" educational stuff! Help me put things in prospective. . .PLEASE.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

EQ stands for Emotional Quotient. It is similar to IQ test in a way, except it measures how well one handles emotions rather than measures intelligence. I am always skeptical about accuracy of these type of tests. Anyway, I guess there's no harm finding out how well your child copes with emotions, or what areas he's gifted towards but I wouldn't rely entirely on an EQ test to determine how I'm going to raise my child.

Totally feel for you... I got a lot of pressure from other moms as well. I have a 4 month old and some moms are already asking me which school I'm gonna send him to for kindie; what flashcards I will use... in fact, when I was pregnant, my sis in law and brother insisted that I should listen to mozart instead of guns and roses... it is as if I'm not doing anything for my own son. Well, I just want to raise my son to become a happy person with a good heart, skill to make a reasonable living and most importantly a loving family. I just can't see how learning 10 languages / playing golf at 8 / memorizing names of all US states has much to do with what I want for my son.

If you are too laid back, then I guess I am too. What the heck! I rather be laid back then transferring pressure to my son!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

This web site http://www.lyen.net/gpage6.html gives a nice definition of EQ. (Although I would have thought eating the marshmallows when told not to was a better indication of greed than EQ.)

On this web site it suggests that you watch your child to see what he is interested in. And while I agree with this I also think it is important to introduce to your children the things you are interested in. It makes for happier family activities if the children enjoy doing the things the adults do.

Best wishes,
    Barb

HKfornow is offline Registered User

barbwong, thanks for the site, read a couple of other articles in there.

ELT, I think the way some moms I've met talk. . . 8 is too old to start takiing up golf, after all Tiger started at two? Glad to hear I'm not the only one "rebelling" against the pressure!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

laughing my axx off...

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

One of my pet subjects is personality types. I get regular e-mails from Mother Styles, http://www.motherstyles.com/, about parenting and personalities.

Today’s was about Emotional Intelligence and Your Mothering Styles, http://motherstylesblog.typepad.com/

I’ve found understanding my personality type really helps me feel better about my style of mothering. It has helped me recognize I am good at some aspects of parenting even though I struggled with other aspects of it.

If you don’t understand all the letters (INTJ, ESFP, etc.) I’d be happy to run a Mothering Styles Workshop for you.

Best wishes,
    SARAH