Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Adventist or Canossa?

premama is offline Registered User

Adventist or Canossa?

Hi,

I'm now 21 weeks pregnant and am trying to decide between Adventist and Cannossa. I went to visit the 2 hospitals this weekend and the main difference I saw was that at Adventist, they allow you to bring the baby into the rooms during the day (regardless of type of room) and you can see the babies in the nursery througout the day whereas at Cannossa, there are time restrictions and they don't allow babies in the rooms unless you have a private room.

The prices seem to be the same...Cannossa seemed to be more full though.

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments/sharing of experience at either of these hospitals, thank you!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I delivered at the Adventist and had my baby with me all day, but I was disappointed that she couldn't stay with me at night as I was in a shared ward.

I would only say that, if you plan to breastfeed, choose the Adventist. You'll need your baby close to you for frequent feedings and you'll save yourself having to go to the nursery to feed or relying on the staff to bring the baby to you.

Good luck!

momofthree is offline Registered User
    I am having my baby at the Adventist in five weeks time and will be in a semi private room.I just called today to ask them what happens at night if I intend to demand feed my baby.They said no problem,you just tell the nurse and you can keep the baby with you 24/7.

I was surprised at this as it is not what I had heard,but the women I spoke to assured me that that is the case.

Anyone delivered there recently that could comment on this?

kelshiu is offline Registered User
    In fact, isnt it more safe to put the babies in the nursury room instead?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I'm repeating my response to another thread here too as it also answers this question.

Because of the way breastfeeding works it is actually safest for the baby to be with the mother rather than in the nursery. As soon as the mother comes into contact with a germ she will start to make antibodies for that particular germ in her milk. If the baby is with the mother then every germ the baby comes into contact with the mother does too and so the baby gets the protection.

If, however, the baby and mother are separated it is possible for the baby to come into contact with a germ that the mother hasn’t and so there will be no antibodies in the milk to protect the baby against that germ.

This is the reason that in some hospitals mothers of premature babies are encouraged to lick the skin of the baby. So that the mother can start making antibodies for any germs that the baby has come into contact with in the hospital that the mother hasn’t.

The mother will already to have antibodies to all the germs in her home and so unless the father has been away for his germs too. So it is better for only the mother and father to handle the baby.

Remember that the germs in hospitals tend to be stronger than the ones in our homes – so to be the safest it is better for no medical professionals to touch the baby, although this often isn’t practical.

SARAH

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    What can we do if they really do not allow the baby to be with the mother then? As in the case of Canossa, as it seems?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    You can either choose another hospital, or make one hell of a fuss and see if they cave in!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Most mothers feel very vulnerable just after they have had their baby. This is not the best time to try to take on the medical establishment. Having said that it is true that the squeaky wheel gets the oil; so if you do keep repeating that you want to see your baby you may win.

Often having the father face the nurses helps. When a nurse came to see if the mother had finished breastfeeding I know one father who replied, “No she hasn’t and I will let you know when she does.” The nurse didn’t come back to face the father a second time. However, sometimes it is just the hospital policy and is equally as difficult for a nurse as she too hates to see mother and baby separated.

If you do find yourself in this situation the things to remember are that once back at home you can do your own thing. Some mothers like to spend the first few days at home making up for the time lost in the hospital and indulge in Kangaroo Mother Care. This is a way of looking after your infant on your chest and gives lots of skin-to-skin contact. Usually it is recommended for premature babies but there is not reason that it can’t be used for healthy full-term babies too. http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/ And if you are encountering any breastfeeding problems it is really the best thing to help.

Some mothers find how much time and energy a new born takes a shock, especially when they haven’t been doing the major part of looking after the baby in the hospital. It is best to expect looking after the baby to take all your time for the first few weeks.

Another aspect is that you may find it harder to breastfeed because of the separation. If this happens then extra patience is required. And get help sooner rather than later. Often it is easy to turn breastfeeding problems around when caught after a couple of days and is so much harder if you wait a couple of weeks before getting help.

One of my co-leaders recommends that you call us before you give that first bottle of formula, after all no baby ever died form waiting 10 minutes for a feed. And often talking to someone who understands normal breastfeeding patterns is all you need to give you the confidence to continue breastfeeding. We are trained to help you recognize what is normal and what is a problem and give suggestions about ways to overcome the problems.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leaders
    in Hong Kong
    for help and information
    SARAH 2548-7636
    MAGGIE 2817-7475
    ROCHELLE 2947-7147
    MARGARITA 2257-6757
    余婉玲 9048-1701
    [email protected]
    www.lllhk.org
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 02-07-2007 at 11:13 AM.