Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

nipple pain

miaka is offline Registered User

nipple pain

at first i thought bb was just sucking harder than usual, but i've found that the pain is only on one side. and last night i noticed a white spot on my nipple. it's a really sharp pain when bb sucks and dulls as the feeding continues. what is it? it kinda reminds me of a zit. what can i do to get rid of it?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    It sounds as though you have a milk bleb – a white stop on the nipple. These can be caused by a plugged duct, thrush or skin blocking the milk duct and may oocur after a trauma to the nipple.

If the bleb doesn’t hurt, nothing needs to be done. If it is painful, try to apply wet heat either with a warm compress or by soaking the nipple in warm water. Another approach is to wear a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in your bra to soften the skin and then attempt to peel away the thickened layer of skin. After the feed attempt to express from the nipple the remaining material by compressing the nipple behind the plug. Sometimes it is possible to express a thickened string of milk, which will help open the duct and keep it open.

If the above treatment doesn’t bring quick relief, I’d suggest going o see your doctor or a nurse to open the blister. It is easy to get infection when you do this yourself as there is a correct technique to opening a blister. If you do have to open the blister use a little lansinoh cream afterwards as this will speed the healing and reduce the scar tissue.

Hope you feel well again soon,
    SARAH

joannek is offline Registered User
    or you can try a lactation consultant. i once experienced what you had, and it was a yeast infection. i would think a regular doc won't know what to do with it & may give you antibiotic which will make it worse. my recommendation is mrs chee (as i've recommended her here so many times) tel 93176366.

when i had an yeast infection, i was taking acidophillis & plain yogurt (good yeast) & also nutriobiotic to apply to the nipple to kill the yeast. it's a little more detailed than that, so pls call mrs chee.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Usually thrush pain is OK at the beginning of the feed and gets worse as the feed continues and often hurts for a while (maybe half an hour) even after you stop nursing.

The following web page gives the symptoms of thrush,
    Is thrush causing my sore nipples?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

A lactation consultant, however, will be able to help you work out exactly what the problem is.

Best wishes,
    SARAH