Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

chinese new year lai see

mammalicious is offline Registered User

chinese new year lai see

can i ask some of you how much you are thinking of giving your helpers in lai see for the coming lunar new year?

have a new helper who has been with us around 1 month and she is doing so far so good. we are pleased.

thanks for your input

kashismum is offline Registered User

We always give our helper one month's salary. If she's been with us less than a year, we pro-rate it.

It's a very personal thing. You'll likely get other responses giving a wide range from $0.

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User

We give our helper $200-300 for lai see money. Our helper is very good but i think this lai see has become distorted into their bonus. Hence I give them what I would give my friends which I believe is quite fair ( I mean it's supposed to be lucky money). Having said that, I do give her end of year bonuses which amount to one or two months salary. Hope this helps.

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

We do not have the finances to give such generous bonuses however, we give a christmas bonus and money for her birthday but nowhere near the amount stated above. Last year we did not give her any lai see money as we are not chinese and nor is she plus she had only been with us a few months and had had a xmas bonus. This year we will probably give $200 because she has worked hard. I tink it is very personal how much you give and dependent on your circumstances.

TingTing is offline Registered User

We also give $200 lai see to our helpler. I think it all depends on every family's financial circumstances and the performance of the DH. If you are satisfied with her performance and she is also happy working with you, then lai see is just a kind of bonus.

For me, I did not afford to give her one month salary of bonus, but I give her small birthday gift, and xmas present. And sometimes, I buy her favourite food.