Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Breast Feeding

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    Eastern HK Island
    hi sarah,

i read yr reply and very interested to know more about yr ideas on how to introduce bottles to fully breastfeed babies. my 9mos old refuse to take bottle right after her first month, despite trying various mtd like change bottle, put breastmilk only, get other to bottle feed her, etc.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    The thing that seems to work best for older babies is to try to make bottle feeding as different from breastfeeding as possible. So face the baby outwards instead of in a cradle position or maybe propped against your knees or a pillow or even in his high chair and encourage your little one to hold the bottle himself.

Nine month olds are interested in the world around them and eager to learn new things. Make the bottle just another skill that he is learning rather than a replacement for the breast. It may still be easier to get someone else to do it.

And remember that babies as young as four months old can master using a cup if in the extreme they won’t take a bottle.

Some tips that can be used if a younger baby is reluctant to take the bottle:

• Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry,
    • Wrap the baby in a piece of the mother’s clothing (blouse or nightgown, for example) while offering the bottle,
    • Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allowing him to pull it in himself,
    • Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it up to body temperature,
    • Try different types of bottle nipples to find a shape, a substance (rubber or silicone), and a hole size the baby will accept,
    • Try different feeding positions. Some babies like to sit propped against the caregiver’s raised legs; others prefer not to look at the caregiver and will take a bottle better if they are held facing out, with their back against the caregiver’s chest,
    • Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically – rocking, walking or swaying from side to side – because this may be calming to him,
    • Insert the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth when he’s sleeping,
    • Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed the mother’s milk with a cup, spoon or eyedropper if the baby continues to refuse the bottle. Medela even sell a special soft cup feeder which I find very easy to use when supplementing babies.

Best wishes,

Chinchilla is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I looked at the link Sarah posted of breastfeeding benefits – what a lot – I knew breast was best but not to that extent. I was wondering what was everyone’s favourite benefit?

jools is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    I love all the benefits, that's why I breastfeed. Although I'm obviously very keen on the ones that have benefitted my children I also selfishly really like the ones that benefit me.

Reduced risk of breast cancer, reduced risk of ovarian cancer, reduced risk of enometrial cancer, reduced risk of osteoporosis, helps prevent post partum hemorrhage, protection against anemia. What a list. The formula companies try to tell us that their milks mimic breastmilk very closely (not that I believe this as they use cows' milk as a basis and that is best for baby cows), when will they be able to provide the mothers with a supplement to provide us with all the advantages for ourselves that we lose if we decide to formula feed.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for including the link in your post. And no, no pressure. I look forward to checking your site out and have written down the contact numbers if I have any questions. In the end it really will be up to my baby.

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    chinchilla, i started bfing thinking of the all the health benefits that will bring my child. living in hk with such terrible airpollution, i'd want my child's respiratory system to be stronger. when she's sick, i purposely get her sickness, so that she recovers sooner.

then came the bonding. once i've mastered bfing, it became such a wonderful feeling for both of us, and the comfort that it can bring my child. being a 1st time mom, there're so many things i dunno what to do & what she wants, but bfing is a sure way to comfort her whenever, wherever & instantly gives me a lot of confidence. when i started planning to wean her, one thing that worried me the most is what to do when she's hurt herself or is scared or crying for no reason after i stopped bfing.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I had lots of trouble breastfeeding my first and now pregnant with my second I'll know better this time to relax and let what happens happen. Back in Australia there is A LOT of pressure to breastfeed and I believe it can traumatise the woman! I ended up getting mastitis, unbelievably cracked nipples that they still forced me to offer my baby despite me crying (ok screaming!) in pain and ultimately, because I was so worn down I got a very serious eye infection which could have resulted in loss of eye sight if it had been any closer to my cornea. As it was I couldn't tolerate even lamp light close to my face (and certainly couldn't go outside for 4 weeks) and I still battle with the infection. Anytime I am tired or stressed it flares up and needs treatment. I will fight it forever.

Do whatever is best for you. From day one my baby has been extremely happy and literally smiles at everyone he sees, particularly me so I guess bonding wasn't an issue despite the fact he only got a bit of breast! for 6 weeks.This will annoy Sarah (not my intention as I still intend to try to breastfeed my next one due in a few months for at least a couple of months) but there is always a study to backup what we say. I recently heard of a study that said that babies that were exclusively breastfed beyond 3 or 6 months (sorry, can't remember the details) have more allergies, are more prone to getting asthma and falling sick than babies that are not exclusively breastfed. The reasoning is that they are not being exposed to outside antibodies and so their immunity is not developed as much as it could be. Sounds logical to me.

Then of course there's always the fact that in my opinon anyway, life is so much easier feeding a baby with a bottle. My husband shared night feeds and over time when the number of feeds dropped we began doing it together. It became a special moment for us to share and if our one year old every wakes up in the night now wanting a feed (this is rare) we do it together for old time sake. It was our time together to marvel at the little creation we had made. As for being out and about, I'm just not ever going to be comfortable whipping my breast out in public!

Sorry about the long post but this is a subject dear to my heart. I'm glad no one seems to be having a go at you for not wanting to breastfeed. In Australia it would be a different matter! We literally call the nurses in hospital the breastfeeding nazis....

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I don't think that anyone should be forced to breastfeed against their will- an unhappy mummy= an unhappy baby; but I do think it is something everyone should be open minded towards.

I've been very fortunate and have had nothing but a great experience with breastfeeding my son- I had a lot of help in hospital when he was born with breastfeeding and lots of support from family and my husband (which has been the most important). I originally intended to give it a go until my son was six months, and then see if I wanted to keep on breastfeeding him, but once he got to a month I decided the benefits for both him and me were so great that I am determined to breastfeed him until he is at least a year ( assuming he is willing!)

My husband still gets a chance to feed our son- a couple of times I express and my husband then feeds him, something my husband enjoys very much and also something I hope my son does too!

I personally couldn't imagine feeding my son any other way- it just feels so right! But I understand that for some people bottle feeding feels so right! Just wanted to share my very positive experience with breastfeeding. As for feeding in public, it's possible to be very discreet and something I became comfortable with very quickly- I don't think it can be any other way when you have a screaming, hungry baby!

Plus I couldn't imagine the work involved in cleaning and sterilising bottles etc. We recently travelled away with our four month old for two weeks, we had so much stuff as it was I couldn't imagine having to take bottles, sterilisers etc. and having to spend time sterilising and cleaning them everyday!

For me and my baby breastfeeding has always been best and I think breastfeeding should always be encouraged first- but not forced on anyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast