Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Breast Feeding

Canucker is offline Registered User

Breast Feeding

Hi All,

I am pregnant with my first child and have already decided I don't want my child to be fed exclusively through breast feeding - I would like to try either 50/50 bottle and breast or even just 100% bottle.

I know this is a very personal subject and have already heard "stories from friends who did not breast feed 100% of the time and the harsh treatment they received from family/friends/strangers who didn't agree with their decision.

I was just wondering if the hospitals here in Hong Kong "push" a mother to breast feed even if she does not want too.

Best,
    Canucker

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn’t worry about being pushed into breastfeeding in Hong Kong. Almost everyone start supplementing in the first few weeks if not in hospital. The official exclusively breastfed for six month figures are zero! In fact, most hospitals make it really difficult to manage to fully breastfeed.

If you are worried about the pressure just tell everyone that you tried but didn’t have enough milk – this seems to be the standard excuse for not breastfeeding.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Canucker - you'll be fine. It's the opposite. If you want to insist on exclusively bf, you'll likely be encouraged to supplement and 'get your rest', etc.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Yes, it's the opposite in Hong Kong to what you may experience in the West, where the pendulum has swung back to breastfeeding becoming more normal and encouraged.

In my experience, although the hospitals said they were pro-breastfeeding, nobody helped me or cared whether I breast/bottle fed. I happened to have outside help so I was ok.

Look, I'm sure you know breast is best as the publicity is very good, but if you have researched your decision and you've made it for the right reasons then try to be confident and just concentrate on loving and bonding with your baby, don't listen to people who try to stress you out!!

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    A friend of mine recently delivered at Matilda and she said that there is no pressure in the hospital you can do what you like. This is good news for me as I don't plan on breastfeeding at all.

I am sure breastfeeding is best, but I mix fed my first child until about 4 weeks and then switched to bottle feeding and out of all his friends he was the one who was the healthiest hardly ever getting sick.

Do what feels best to you.

Matty is offline Registered User
    I mix fed my son until 8 weeks, then exclusively fomula fed after that.
    I had intention of exclusively breast feeding but it didn't work out.
    My son is happy and healthy, and next time around I'll do it exactly the same way.

Do what feels right for you and your baby, and don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want to.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I was so worried I would get a lot of negative replies to my question.

I currently work full-time and unlike in Canada where Mat Leave is a year, it is only 10 weeks in HK. While I hope to take a few extra weeks off, I do plan on going back to work and have been mortified at the thought of my child not wanting to take a bottle and screaming and refusing to eat until I came home.

The subject has not come up yet (only 9 weeks along) with friends/family/strangers, but from what I have heard from others it will. And you guys are right, it is a personal decision and I can't let anyone pressure me to do anything that isn't right for me or my child.

Best,
    Canucker

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I hope that you won’t take this as pressurizing you.

But please make an informed decision about breastfeeding.

Do find out about the huge number of benefits for both you and your baby. A good web site (which includes the medical references) is
    101 Reasons to Breastfeed Your Child
    http://www.promom.org/101/

I know that breastfeeding isn’t always easy, especially at the beginning. But most worthwhile things in life are difficult to master in the early days. I often liken breastfeeding to riding a bicycle. It takes time and effort to learn but once you know how to do it you find it easy and pleasurable. When learning to ride the bike it helps to have someone give you support by running along beside you and holding the saddle. Likewise when learning to breastfeed it is helpful to have experienced friends, midwives and lactation consultants beside you to give you the support you need.

Please remember that there are people in Hong Kong who are trained and happy to help give you this necessary support if you decide to try breastfeeding. (We even have ideas about how to introduce bottles to fully breastfeed babies so you don’t have to worry about them crying of hunger while you’re away!)

Best wishes,
    SARAH

For help and information about Breastfeeding
    SARAH 2548-7636
    MAGGIE 2817-7475
    ROCHELLE 2947-7147
    MARGARITA 2257-6757
    余婉玲 9048-1701
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web site: www.lllhk.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast