Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travelling to Cambodia while Pregnant

DTHY is offline Registered User

Question Travelling to Cambodia while Pregnant

Just found out - I'm 6 week pregnant! But I'm currently planning to join a 4-5 day tour with my mother to visit Angkor Wat in Siam Reap, Cambodia. Has anyone been to Cambodia while pregnant? What is it like in terms of food/water safety? Is it too risky for a pregant woman to go to Cambodia? Any advice?

Robby is offline Registered User

Depending on where you are staying Angkor Wat is amazing. You should have no problems while pregnant. Lots of resturants are owned by xpats and the hotels (the major ones) ie Accor will be no problem. It was the best trip I have ever done. Enjoy.

Sisil1 is offline Registered User

Hi there,

I was 10 weeks pregnant when I went to Cambodia together with my husband and 17 months old son.
    Cambodia is nice, and most of the hotel will provide you with mineral water.If you just planning to eat from the hotel restaurant it should be fine. Don't go to the small/local restaurant.
    Prepare to climb alots of steps, so don't force your self, I was fine before as I just do it slowly, we hired a car from the hotel, so we can went back to hotel for my son afternoon nap, and also my nap :)
    Then do it again before sunset.
    Have fun there...

PS: I would suggest to plenty of sunblock and hat, also if you have some unneeded clothes.. they are soooo pooor and need some clothes.
    So when I went there I brought some of my son clothes and they are fighting for that and my son snack.

ontheroad is offline Registered User

Local restaurants are fine too, and usually the food there is much better than the hotels, and safer because they have a higher turnover.
    Khmer Kitchen, in front of the market is the best/cheapest place in town. Just stay away from ice cubes, fruits and raw vegetables. Eat only things that have been cooked.

DTHY is offline Registered User

Thank you for all the advice! :o)