Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Notice period

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

Notice period

We unfortunatley will have to terminate our helpers contract early. This is through no fault of hers, she is really great and very hardworking but we cannot afford her anymore. We would love to keep her on as expecting a baby in 8 weeks.

As I understand it we are required to give her one months notice. We are contemplating giving her two months to allow her plenty of time to find another employer, but not sure whether this would just make it difficult for us all living under one roof. We hope to give her as much assistance as possible as it is not her fault.

I also have read that you have to give her money for any holiday she has not taken. She has been with us 6 months in HK (9 months in singapore as well). As she is entitled to 2 weeks at the end of her 2 year contract should I pro rata this to the 6 months.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Yes, one month's notice period is required, or payment in lieu. This is one way to avoid any awkwardness after serving notice. Only you can judge how she'll react - if you're genuinely helping her to secure employment, she would hopefully be reasonable.

You'll need to inform immigration immediately that you have served notice, the reason and her expected last day (premature end of contract).

Be aware that citing 'financial difficulty' will help your helper to secure a contract here in HK without going back to her home country. So, she won't (or shouldn't) suffer. However, if you later decide to hire a helper in the future, you may encounter difficulties.

Thanks for info Kashimum, had'nt realised it may affect us in the future. This is a temporary financial situation due to circumstances beyond our control so hopefully we can prove that in the future.

Should we tell immigration that it is financial difficulty then so she does'nt have to go home. We will pay for the airfare if she does anyway.

cyberyoda is offline Registered User
    Hi Millerwhisk, I have sent you a PM, please read and reply me. Thanks.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    If you give immigration another reason, it's likely your helper will suffer in that she'll be 'terminated' and have to return home. It'll make it more difficult for her to find a new employer.

There are 4 or 5 legitimate reasons for terminating that won't have this result; financial difficulty on the part of the employer is one of them.

Thanks Kashimum, can you tell me where I can find all this information. We are going to give them the reason of financial difficulty but it would be useful to know for the future. I have found the immigration website but cannot find reasons for termination.

greatimp is offline Registered User
    Millerwhisk, I have sent you a PM.