Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Breastfeed after C-section?

AnitaC is offline Banned

Breastfeed after C-section?

I have just been told not to drink and eat for 6 hours before the C-section. Does it mean I can still breastfeed my baby right away? I doubt that I have any liquid left in me if I cannot drink for so many hours before the surgery!? Any advice ladies?

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Are you definitely having a c-section now?
    Antonia

Nula is offline Registered User
    Don't worry you will be able. They will keep you hydrated with an IV drip.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Breastfeeding after a cesarean operation is fine. Of course you will need help to position your baby. Usually babies are happy and eager to feed straight away. Delaying the first feed and giving formula in the hospital are the two biggest predictors of breastfeeding failure.

Remember that the first milk, colostrum, comes in very small quantities. A normal colostrum feed is between 2 mls and 7 mls. And the babies stomach is also very small around 5mls (one teaspoon) on the day the baby is born. Please don’t worry about how much milk you have – the colostrum has been waiting for your baby to be born since you were about 16 weeks pregnant.

What is colostrum? Does it benefit my baby in any way?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

Also remember that in the operation you will be supplied with a saline drip. So although your mouth and throat may feel dry the rest of your body will be well hydrated.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

AnitaC is offline Banned
    Thanks Sarah. That is a relieve to me. That means I should be hydrated enough to feed my baby! Will go for it as soon as arrives in our world!

Cheers,

Anita

cyberyoda is offline Registered User
    Hi Anita,

I heard that many priviate hospitals not allow to feed baby immediately after the C-section except if you have a private room to room-in the baby. (all other rooms cannot room-in baby after SARS) You will be all covered during and after the surgery so the nurse and doctor said that it is impossible for baby to latch on. And you will not be allowed to get out of bed the first day after C-section so the earliest time you can breastfeed is the 2nd day.

All the above is what the private hospitals told me. This is absolutely disappointed. Sarah, would you tell us whether we can pump the colostrum on teh first day so the nurse can CUP FEED the baby. The idea is to avoid baby get used to the bottle and still get the colostrum on teh first day if private hospital has so much restrictions...

I am also very eager to breastfeed my baby. What the private hospitals told me doesn't make sense but if they dont allow I have nothing to do. Please give some advice. Thanks

sunrays is offline Registered User
    I had my little girl at QM and as she had to go to special care after my C-Section I did not see her until the following day. Despite this, and her being in speciall care for five days, she has been exclusively breast fed since she came home. I pumped the colostrum into a syringe which they gave her in a cup and all formula feeds were from a cup too. So, I'm sure you will be fine.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberyoda View Post
    Hi Anita,

I heard that many priviate hospitals not allow to feed baby immediately after the C-section except if you have a private room to room-in the baby. (all other rooms cannot room-in baby after SARS) You will be all covered during and after the surgery so the nurse and doctor said that it is impossible for baby to latch on. And you will not be allowed to get out of bed the first day after C-section so the earliest time you can breastfeed is the 2nd day.
    Cyberyoda: Depends on the hospital, but as I understand it, even though your baby cannot 'room-in' with you, and you'll be unable to go to the baby, the staff should bring the baby to you for breastfeeding.

I delivered by c-section at the Adventist in 2005 and asked to be back on the ward as soon as I was stitched. My baby latched on about 1 hr after birth and we're still going strong.

As paying customers in private hospitals, we should be able to insist on reasonable service such as a modicum of support for breastfeeding our children. If not, we can vote with our feet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast