Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Do you add salt and other seasoning to your 1 year old meals?

29. This poll is closed
  • YES

6 20.69%
  • NO

18 62.07%

5 17.24%

Adding salt to food

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Adding salt to food

I was wondering at what age do you add salt and other seasoning to your baby's food?

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    Beacon Hill, Kowloon.
    I never add salt to any food that my toddler (18 months old) is going to eat. I read that their kidneys are not mature enough to process too much salt, especially as there are natural "salts" in most veggies. Since I started him on solid foods I've always added some other kind of seasonings. Fresh or dried herbs, spices, garlic, ginger and recently a tiny bit of soy sauce. Thinking of moving onto chilli soon.....

Nula is offline Registered User
    Never added salt myself but have always used herbs, garlic and ginger. The following might help you.

How much salt should babies have?
    Babies need only a very small amount of salt - less than 1g a day up to 12 months. Their kidneys can't cope with larger amounts of salt.

Babies who are breastfed will get the right amount of salt through breast milk. Infant formula contains a similar amount.

Remember not to add salt to food you give to your baby. And be careful not to give him/her processed foods that aren't made specifically for babies, such as breakfast cereals and pasta sauces, because these can be high in salt.

How much salt should children have?

The daily recommended maximum for children depends on their age:

1 to 3 years - 2 g salt a day (0.8g sodium)
    4 to 6 years - 3g salt a day (1.2g sodium)
    7 to 10 years - 5g salt a day (2g sodium)
    11 and over - 6g salt a day (2.5g sodium)
    These are the recommended maximums for children. It is better for them to have less.

If you're buying processed foods, even those aimed at children, remember to check the information given on the labels so you can choose those with less salt.

Remember there is no need to add salt to your child's food.

If children have too much salt, this could affect their health in the future. And it could also give them a taste for salty food, which means they're more likely to continue eating too much salt when they grow up.

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

soya sauce

so, i guess soya sauce is considered salt like seasoning too right?
    so, do you cook your toddler's food seperately for them then or you eat together but don't add salt?

katyw is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    Over the years I've just got used to not adding salt at all and my 3 year old still doesn't have it added at 3. (of course I don't avoid it all together but I just don't add it to cooking)
    As for cooking seperately yes I do for my toddler and baby but that's just because they eat alot earlier than we do, on a week night especially.

funnychamp is offline Registered User
    I put very little.. i thought he might need the iodium as well..