Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sterilising

ninahudd is offline Registered User

sterilising

How long do you have to sterilise for. We are about to start our baby on baby rice (she is about 5 months but ready for it). Do I need to sterilise all the bowls and spoons?

jools is offline Registered User

With our first child I used to sterilise everything I possibly could, though the saucepans and food processor proved to be a bit more difficult. With our next two I was a bit more realistic. I thought that if my baby was putting toys in his/her mouth that had been picked up from their play mat, then they could probably survive me putting a spoon in their mouth that had been thoroughly washed. I hope that helps.

Last edited by jools; 02-16-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo

joannek is offline Registered User

agree with jools. i didn't sterilise anything after 6 mths (she was on bm only, so bottles need not be sterilsed anyway). i also figured if she was putting anything in her mouth, i need not sterilise her utensils. however, i made sure they're well washed & rinsed after each use. well rinsed is a very key word, ccos i believe residue dishwashing liquid is bad for her tummy.

carang is offline Registered User

i stopped sterilising when i found my son chewing on a shoe/slipper...he was about 7 or 8 months old.

Mootje is offline Registered User

I stopped sterilising after 6 months. I was told it is good for the imuunsystem not to sterlise after 6 months.

Matty is offline Registered User

It is only important to keep sterilising things that come in contact with formula and BM after they start solids.
    Spoons, bowls, blenders etc need only be washed in hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed.

ninahudd is offline Registered User

Matty

Don't understand why you don't need to sterilise bowls etc. but do need to still sterilise the bottles. What if I am mixing breast milk with the rice cereal. Do I then still need to sterilise?

Matty is offline Registered User

Any traces of milk left on bottles are a super breeding ground for the type of bacteria that can upset babies stomachs.
    Once you heat milk, any bacteria mutiplies at a rapid pace.
    It is recommended to sterilise bottles until 12mths.

I guess it's a lot easier to clean the small amount of milk left on spoons and bowls. I throw the spoons and bowls into the microwave steriliser anyway, only because they are small and it's easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast