Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Shark fin

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Shark fin

Dear all,

My Mum cooked us Shark fin soup the other day. I am now 8 months pregnant and forgot that I am not supposed to eak shark. I have eatten 3 bowls of shark fin soup and just recall that I am not suppose to eat such thing. Now that I am very worried about hurting my baby. Does anybody knows is it a must not to eak Shark fin at all??

carang is offline Registered User
    i don't think that it's going to harm you or the baby. it's not like you're eating it at every meal! not only that, but by 8 months, your baby is already fully formed. if there are any problems, they will have developed long before now.

i personally wouldn't eat it though, not because of being pregnant, but because of the way they obtain it... many times, they catch the sharks, cut off the fin when the shark is still alive, then throw the poor shark back into the water without it's fin! they leave the shark to die a slow agonising death. plus they are wayyyyyyy overfishing sharks which could be very detrimental to the rest of the oceanlife!

joannek is offline Registered User
    you shouldn't need to worry about it. it's just a one time thing. mercury is usually accumlated over a long period of consumption.

but i agree with carang, i don't eat shark's fin either because of the same reason.

cyberyoda is offline Registered User
    Dear both,

Thanks for your reply. I am less worry after reading your message. Now that I know how shark fin is made, I am not interested in eating anymore.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I've also sworn off shark fin soup when I saw a documentary or something and they showed how they got the fins... Luckily dh's relatives don't order it very much anymore when we go out.
    All the best,
    Katie

Scroll to top