Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helper's off day

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

We never used to have a curfew on our helper when she was with us in singapore and it was never a problem as house was much bigger there and so she did not disturb us. We did when we moved here impose a 10pm curfew because it would disturb everyone when she comes in. I agree with carang that 7.30 is early. What time do you get in when you go out?

joannek is offline Registered User

my agent told me that she's not entitled to stat holidays for the 1st 3 mths.

jools is offline Registered User

We've never given our helper a curfew and never had any problems. The way I look at it, working for us is her job, just like anyone elses job. Would an office worker be asked to go into the office on their day off (well maybe occassionally, but not on a regular basis)? So we don't ask our helper to come home, to her place of work, early on her day off.

I agree with Cara, helpers are adults and 7.30pm is very early for an adult to be expected to come in. My curfew when I lived with my parents at home, at 18 years old, was midnight. If a helper comes in so late that they can't do their job the next day, then that's a different issue and needs to be addressed in terms of them not being fit for work. Your helper is probably agreeing to the time as she doesn't want to upset you and wants to give you the answer she thinks you want to hear. If you feel that you must have a curfew then I agree with the others who suggested you move it to a later time. Maybe get your helper to suggest a time that she is more comfortable with, then she is more likely to stick to it if she suggested it.

Wai-Mei Ho is offline Registered User

Our curfew is 10pm. She has her own keys so she doesn't disturb anybody. I think having to come back before 8pm is a bit early. She would have to eat her dinner earlier and leave straight away to get home on time. If that's the only day off I had to spend w/ my friends and relatives I would definitely like to spend my time having a relaxing dinner w/ them without having to keep looking at my watch!

aldougie is offline Registered User

I agree that 7.30/8.00 is early especially if your helper were to be eating with friends, going to the pictures or even out on one of the islands which ours used to do regularly. We didn't have a curfew but just told her that we expected her to be fresh for Monday morning and in 3 yrs we never had a problem and she had her own keys so could come and go as she pleased so never disturbed us. In terms of cleaning we never left any dishes or washing to be done on Sundays as this is her day off and I wouldn't have been comfortable for her to come back and find dishes/washing etc. to be done. However, I know a lot of people do and it's up to the individual helper how she deals with this.

In terms of holiday my belief was that all employees are entitled to the stat holidays but under three months you don't have to pay them.

This is the link to the website and what it says:

(http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/news/la...lidays2007.htm) and this is what it says:

All employees are entitled to the above statutory holidays. If the statutory holiday falls on a rest day, a holiday should be granted on the day following the rest day which is not a statutory holiday or an alternative holiday or a substituted holiday or a rest day. An employee having been employed under a continuous contract for not less than 3 months is entitled to the holiday pay which is equivalent to the normal wages which the employee would have earned if he had worked on a full working day.

*According to the Employment Ordinance, if the Lunar New Year's Day falls on a Sunday, then the day immediately preceding the Lunar New Year's Day will be designated as a statutory holiday.

pinemarten is offline Registered User

Regardless of the legal requirements for the first 3 months, don't you think it's a bit cheap to be considering not paying your helper for these public holidays?

geiboyi is offline Registered User

About the curfew - if you set it at 8pm (or whatever) you legally need to let your helper finish by 8pm the night before, to give her the full 24-hr rest period she is entited to.
    Also, if you trust someone to look after your children, you really ought to trust her with a house key...

mammalicious is offline Registered User

yes, the laws regarding statutory holidays does say if your helper has been with you for not yet 3 months, you don't need to give them paid public holidays.

personally i think if you'v employed someone to take care of your children and trust them to be in your home to work for you, a few paid public days of rest is a small price to pay for her to be happy and want to work hard for you. if you started a job recently, you wouldn't be happy if your boss said you can take the cny days off but you'r not being paid for them. you may feel a bit resentful ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast