Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Helper's off day

joannek is offline Registered User
    well, i choose to still pay them at the end of the contract, when i'm calculating all these other holiday compensation, and giving her bonus. this 8pm curfew was suggested by my agent.

i think chinese ppl who are used to having amahs in the old days are more strict with their DHs. these amahs didn't used to take their days off & was treated like maids. when they have worked for a extented period of time (say more than 5 yrs) then they are treated as part of the family. these amahs were ladies who "combed up" at a young age & will never get married. hence they have no homes to go to & not much friends.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    Agree with Pinemarten that it's a little bit cheap not to pay the statutory holidays given that this individual is working in your home and should be making your life easier (however early in the contract).

Re curfew, we suggested midnight but our helper is usually back around 10-11pm (and she does light "clearing up" chores, unasked) and has only been out later a few times. Unless late nights are regularly impairing her abilities, I would respect the helper as a responsible adult and let her enjoy her day off properly (i.e. allowing dinner, evening movie, island trip without prior permission).

I'm sure we've all gone into work a little worse for wear before (of course this does depend on whether your helper is the main child carer or not and how early she starts in the morning).

p.s. i'm baffled about helpers without their own key - does it mean they can't leave home?

jools is offline Registered User
    Here, here Slamdunk. I'm with you on the key issue. When we talk with the children about our helper, we refer to our home as her home. When they ask where she is on Sundays, we say she doesn't work on Sundays-she's out with her friends and she will be coming home later.It never entered out heads that our helper wouldn't have a key, this is her home too.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    “These amahs were ladies who "combed up" at a young age & will never get married, hence they have no homes to go to & not much friends.”

I don’t think the above is an accurate description of these women who served as maids in the last generation. Our family had such a maid when my children were younger. She was very devoted to our family but she still enjoyed visiting her friends and her own family during her time off. She was very proud of the fact that she had her own living quarters even though she also had a place to sleep in our home. And every year she wanted her annual holidays at Chinese New Year in order to visit family in China.

And just for the record she never has a curfew and, of course, had her own set of keys. How else would she have managed taking the children out for din sum, to the park, etc.?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    In my opionion, it's a sad state of affairs when we trust our maid's with our children and not a key....

And as for giving them a curfew of 7.30 or 8 pm on their 'legal' night off, that's pretty harsh too. Whilst some rules are necessary these women are not our slaves, they are employees. I doubt any of us would work for anyone who told us to be home by 7.30pm the night before work.

As for paying them for holidays etc if they haven't quite qualified, they earn so little what is the big deal? Some of you are pretty tough...

aldougie is offline Registered User
    The fact of the matter is that some people employ helpers without knowing their legal requirements -you are responsible for employing your helper and not your agency and therefore YOU must know the laws that are applicable. I also agree that not paying your helper for a few days off because they don't 'qualify' seems harsh and not a route that I would go down personally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123