Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helper's off day

justanis is offline Registered User

Helper's off day

Hi all, need some comments and opinion on helper's off days.

1) Do you stipulate what time they should come back on their off days ? I request for my helper to be back before 8pm, which is our kids' bedtime. Didnt want to be disrupted halfway patting the kids just to open door for her.

2) If she comes back from her off days and do some simple housework like washing laundry, is it normal or right ?

thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    1. Yes, definitely. Our previous helper would come home at around 12 and was a total zombie on Mondays. Our current helper comes home anywhere from 8-9:30pm. She has her own key and bedtime isn't disrupted. If she has a party and expects to be late, then she lets us know in advance.

2. Simple housework for us is washing up the dinner dishes, and throwing out the garbage. If she does anymore, it's cos she's trying to get a head start on Monday's chores. But that's entirely up to her to manage her schedule and tasks.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    i think its generally okay to stipulate what time you expect her to return into your home. i asked my helper what time she normally comes back, on her first day, and she said around 9pm which i was fine with. however, she does have her own key so she lets herself in the back door. i just don't want to have to worry if she's back safe if it's late. i think it's one thing when she lives in your house, she does need to respect some rules.

however, i try not to ask her to do anything on her day of rest. legally speaking they are allowed to rest for 24hr period. so i try to run my own errands and wash our own dishes.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    There seems to be an unwritten rule that the curfew is 9:30pm. My last helper stuck to that rigidly; the current one is always in by 10pm. Within reason, I don't see why we should impose a curfew since they are entitiled to the 24hrs rest. Of course, if a late night affects their work the next day, it may be appropriate to mention something.

As for light chores on days off...we ask our helper not to, but she does anyway. But, we'll minimise what needs to be done as much as possible and not leave a pile of dishes, etc. (I type as my hubbie vacuums!)

joannek is offline Registered User
    my agent gave a set of rules for her to sign when she arrives, which says she needs to be back by 8pm. this one is always back before 8. the previous one was always late. the previous one only takes care of my baby when after comes back (continue to care for her midnight feed, etc). this new one offers to finish baby's dishes & pack her diaper bag to get a head start for the next day's work.

carang is offline Registered User
    we've never told our helper when to be back. at the begining, i just said, "within reasonable hours". i think that the latest she's ever come back was about midnight. but that was during a long stretch of public holidays.

i don't mind what time she comes back, so long as she's ok in the morning. so far, no problems and it's been just over 2 years.

as for doing light work when she returns, she too, always finds something to do. i've asked her not to many times, but she prefers it, so....

justanis is offline Registered User
    thanks, glad to know that we are not asking too much from her. While we have told her to come back ard 730 or before 8pm, she never reallu came back on time so far since she was with us in Jan. only once she came back around 755pm. We did gave her the option to tell us if she is comfortable with the timing, and we are ok to moving it back, as long as we agree to a time. But she always say its ok, but ends up not coming back on time. That to us is a breach of trust and understanding.

Also read from other thread that if a helper is working for us less than 3 months, she is not entitled to statutory leave ? can anyone helps to verify this ? Means she is considered to be taking unpaid leave during the chinese new year break, and we should pro-rate her salary ?

any link where we can check on this ?

carang is offline Registered User
    personally, i think that she is an adult and should be capable of deciding what time she can get home and still be ok for work the next day, don't you? why does she have to be home by 7:30? that seems a little early to me. she can't even see a 6 or 7pm movie if she wanted to as it would finish too late for her to be home on time.

i think that you need/should move her home time to 9pm or 9:30 and give her a key so that she can let herself in so she doesn't disturb the house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast