Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Formula or Whole Milk for one year old?

eplo19 is offline Registered User

Formula or Whole Milk for one year old?

My Pediatrican told me that I can continue with Stage 1 Formula now that my duaghter is one year old but also I can give whole milk as well.

How about the rest of you- what are you giving your toddler/one year old and how much milk feedings a day?

joannek is offline Registered User
    i am still giving her follow-on milk which she started from she was one yo. sometimes, when i run out of that, i give her whole milk. both are fine.

capital is offline Banned
    my opinion on this is that at age 1 you can start giving whole milk, but it doesn't mean you have to stop formula. If breastmilk is supposed to be best until age 2, and formula is a breastmilk replacement, then why not give forrmula unitl age 2 as well? I have never really understood the need to suddenly take baby off formula at 1 year. Personally I give whole milk at meals, and breastf fed the rest of the time. I still give my 3 eyar old whole milk, partly becasue I have it in the fridge anyway, and partly becasue he is skinny and could use the extra fat.

graceinNP is offline Registered User
    I'm now slowly changing my 1 year old to whole milk. I'm mixing her bottles, half and half, then next week, 3:1 and then fully to whole milk.

msmslau is offline Registered User
    my 18 mth daughter never liked formula so she was on whole milk since 1. Sometimes, i also mix it with organic soy milk or rice milk for a more balanced diet.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Our boy is 1 and we give him a mix of formula and milk - between 3 and 4 feeds a day, 180 ml to 240ml. He also loves yoghurt so gets a lot of calcium that way too.

I think the common advice is that from one it doesn't matter. It's mainly the formula companies that try and get you to stick to formula for obvious reasons. I've even seen formula for 3 year olds now which is just stupid. They should be getting more than enough nutrients in meals.