Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

TTC and acupuncture

Bozo is offline Registered User

TTC and acupuncture

I'm now on month 9 of TTC. We've not visited any doctors yet (we'll wait another 3 months) but, assuming nothing is wrong and I've just been unlucky, can acupuncture boost my chances of conception? I know it's recommended for IVF and when you're diagnosed with PCOS or endometriosis etc, but the advantage an acupuncturist has in those situations is knowing specifically what to treat. At the moment I just don't know why I'm not pregnant. I did have my hormone levels tested and they're normal - I'm ovulating normally and have a regular cycle. Any suggestions or recommendations??

lovechild is offline Registered User
    Dear Bozo,
    We are in the same boat ...have been trying seriously for about 3-4 months.Actually i did go to Integrated Medicine Institute,and tried accup. with Guiaana Buanocoure(sorry !i think i have the spelling wrong),she is with the Matilda as well.Anyways,went to her for a just 1 session,excl the introductory.Really liked her very much.I personally would like to continue,but giving it a try naturally for a month or so and then seeing.Any help would be welcome.

Also,my doc. said i have 5 fibroids(ouch!!!!!!).He said it should not affect me getting BFP,as it is not close to uterus/ovaries.So have to discuss with GB,when i do go again.Fingers crossed!!!!Hoping for a miracle as of this month.

There are a few of them who come up on previous threads if /when you decide to try.Like Troy Sing etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I read somewhere that it takes a woman aged 35 on average 6 months to conceive so I'm sure seeing how things go naturally for a while is the best course for you. After 9 months of trying I guess I just wanted to feel like I was proactively 'doing' something. the whole 'wait and see' thing gets a bit frustrating after a while. Anyway, I tried acupuncture this month and although I'm pretty sure it's been unsuccessful in achieving pregnancy this month (perhaps too early to tell), it seems to have stopped the ovulatory bleeding I'd been getting recently so I think something positive has come out of it. I'll try again next month but after that I think me and hubby will need to get checked out properly. Anyway, good luck to you!

Northern Angel is offline Registered User
    Bozo and Lovechild or anyone else,
    Have you had any luck yet? I'm TTC 7 months now with known problems, am just starting to look into acupuncture and am wondering if it is worth it? Have emailed Gianna, Troy and Cecilia as they seem to be the recommended ones but it would be nice to have some more feedback.
    Thanks ;)

I ended up having IVF because of severe male factor infertility so I guess the success or otherwise of acupuncture isn't relevant in my case. However, during my IVF cycle I had acupuncture immediately before and immediately after embryo transfer and every day for the next five days as recommended by the embryologist. I did not get pregnant that cycle. The next time on a frozen embryo transfer I did not have acupuncture.... and I'm now pregnant with twins.

I get the feeling that acupuncture can really help if you have an irregular cycle or another specific issue that needs to be addressed, but otherwise I'm not so sure. Obviously in my case I was focusing on my own body when it turned out there was a problem with my husband. I did go to Cecilia for acupuncture before we found out what our problem was (although I didn't go to her during the IVF cycle) and I thought she was excellent. Good luck!
    Last edited by Bozo; 03-11-2008 at 10:41 AM.