Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Routine 18-20 week anomaly scans at Tsan Yuk

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

Routine 18-20 week anomaly scans at Tsan Yuk

I read a thread about the changes to policies regarding Down Syndrome Screening at Tsan Yuk. What's the situation with the routine 18-20 week anomaly scan? Can a woman under 35 have that with the public health system? Or do they ask you to have this with a private health care provider?

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hi Jo Bowd,

I was just at Tsuen Yuk today for my first appointment and from the information they gave me the only do the screening for Down syndrome on women 35 and over. If you are under 35, you have to pay for the service yourself.

The pamphlet says the first trimester test costs $1230, the second one $1680 and the second trimester maternal blood test $1230.

Hope that is the info you were looking for.

Canucker

Polly is offline Registered User
    Hi, Yes I understood it as Canucker. They will only do the test if you are 35 or over or will be 35 when the baby's born; otherwise, if you wish to have the test you have to pay yourself.

How about the 18-20 routine scan?

I was aware that women under 35 have to get the Downs Syndrome Screening done privately. It was discussed on another thread.

How about the 18-20 routine scan? At this point they are checking for any visible physical problems or abnormalities. Do women under 35 have to go private for that too? Or is it still provided as part of the Public Heathcare System at Tsan Yuk?

I missed out on the 12 week routine scan, as I was 13 weeks by the time I had my first antenatal appointment, but I did undergo the 20 week scan, which is another routine scan to check, as you say, for any visible physical abnormalities. There's another scan at 32 weeks also; not sure if there is another after that. These scans are routine and everyone will undergo them.

Had my first booking appointment back at he Tsan Yuk and the Hospital Authority still provide the 20 week scan as a routine procedure for pregnant women of all ages. Unless there are complications, no further scans are provided by the Hospital Authority.

Oh, you might be right there Jo. My placenta was looking low on my 20 week scan, so maybe that's why I had the 32 week scan, which showed the placenta had moved up. I asked and they said there will be no further scans now.