Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Waiting Lists for International Schools

wintermom is offline Registered User

Waiting Lists for International Schools

It seems that my 5 year old daughter will inevitably be on waiting lists for schools for next year, due to our May arrival date. I've heard various stories from people in this situation. Some have been told it will be a two year wait, and then get a call within two months. Others have waited a year or more, and still others returned to home country with children after unsuccessful attempts to get them into schools. How much transition is there within schools once the school year has started? I would be grateful for any advice.

Minababy is offline Registered User
    Have you considered to buy a debenture? Your daugther will have better chances still not a guaranteed tho.

Alby is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermom View Post
    I've heard various stories from people in this situation. Some have been told it will be a two year wait, and then get a call within two months. Others have waited a year or more, and still others returned to home country with children after unsuccessful attempts to get them into schools. How much transition is there within schools once the school year has started? I would be grateful for any advice.
    My friends from Japan but came to HK after working 8 years in Singapore with their two children had this problem - finding a place in a school. Eventually, their kids were accepted at Bradbury - but were home taught by Mom for almost two months.

My friends took quite an active approach - such as enrolling their kids in various activities such as dance, art, swimming and one or two others at outside learning centers/clubs. Their kids were able to meet other children from the schools in which their own kids were waitlisted so when they eventually gained entrance they knew some people at the school as well and from surrounding schools.

Once they were accepted at Bradbury their kids meet with their teachers afterschool one day so when they started school the next week they knew where to go and what to expect.

My friend reported the Parent organizations at a few schools were the most helpful - offering practicle assistance and advice.