Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Changing a 1 year olds diaper!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    ha ha, this is hilarious. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going through this. Fee I totally know what you mean when you say you have to pin your child down. It sounds worse than it is but sometimes it's the only thing to do! I wish I could explain to a 1 year old that the diaper changing would go so much faster if he just chilled out and lied back for awhile! Yeah right.

Today I bought the pull ups some of you recommended so here's hoping that makes it easier. Up until now there's been a lot of upright nappy changes which thankfully haven't been too messy. I'm just glad he'd reached the 'solids' phase if you know what i mean before all this kicked in.

And me too, I'm 6 months pregnant and the last thing I need to be doing is fighting with a 1 year old every nappy change. My back is aching enough already from picking him up, putting him into his cot etc. Ouch.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

singing & books

From the time my kids were very small, I would sing a song and hand them a book to look at while we did the change. So, it seemed to entertain them and we rarely had struggles. The book habit was good in that it also helped them keep calm when sitting on the potty for poos.

The song was something I made up called "It's nappy time" sung to the tune of "It's Supper Time" from the musical "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown".

Downside - my kids (primary school students) now take books into the toilet w/ them and spend quite a bit of time reading and we sometimes have to ask them to stop reading and get out, other people need to use it too. :)

carang is offline Registered User
    ha! i sang... "it's nappy time"..... to the tune of "it's hammer time" by MC Hammer.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Use pull-ups and problem would be solved in an instant. I get my daughter to prop her leg, one at a time, on my knee, to clean between thigh folds. I dare say it is a phase and when your child begins to understand what nappy changing entails, he would lie down dutifully to get his nappy changed. Otherwise you may wish to time his nappy-changing when you give him his bottle ie when he is ying down nicely. My daughter outgrows her pull-ups at abt 16 months (after using pull-ups for 3 or so mths). Now she knows she is supposed to lie down when I show her a new nappy. I reserve pull-ups for when we are out and there is no place to change her. So much cheaper to use the side-tape types, I reckon.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    OMG! I was just complaining to my mom how hard it was to change my 5 month old! Are you guys saying this would go worse?

carang is offline Registered User
    yup, my son now lies down dutifully to have a nappy change. as a matter of fact, he prefers the old style to the pull ups. i think because he likens the pull ups to underwear and since new baby has arrived, the potty training has fallen by the wayside.

we too only use pull ups now to go out.

ELT....5 months... enjoy it, it won't last much longer, once they're mobile, they realise that there is so much more of hte world to see and they don't usually want to sit still for something like a nappy change, they'd rather be out exploring!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12