Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Infant formula for 3-month old ~ any recommendations?

bunx2 is offline Registered User

Infant formula for 3-month old ~ any recommendations?

my son has just turned 3 months, and has been exclusively on breastmilk. however, i would like to start introducing formula so that (1) he can slowly get accustomed to formula before i wean him from breastmilk and (2) hopefully he might be able to sleep longer during the night (currently max. 5 hrs from 11pm to 4am)

i have seen two pediatricians, and one of them recommends Enfamil A+ (which seems to be quite a popular brand), while the other has recommended Nestle Nan H.A. (since we have a history of eczema in the family) Does anyone have any advice/input on these two formulas?

how about Meiji formula from japan? i know it is available at supermarkets like CitySuper and Great. wondering if anyone can share what are the benefits to Meiji (as i can't read japanese/chinese!)

any other recommendations on formula would be much appreciated ~ thanks!

josoo is offline Registered User
    I'm not into the brands, as it can be quite a hassle and ends up being very expensive. My daughter started off on Wyeth S26 and has now moved on to Wyeth's Progress Gold (1-3 years old), it's worked wonders. She's now 15-months old, healthy, tall and 24 pounds - I'm a happy mother.

You can buy Wyeth at any Parkn Shop/Wellcome/Mannings/Watsons and it makes life so much easier, especially because I'm a working mum, and time is the most crucial factor (my husband is also a baby, so I have two babies to manage, work, coordinate the maids - my husband can't even pack his own suitcase!). I can't imagine running to CitySuper every other month and lagging the milk around, or running off to Bumps to Babes!

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    Hi bunx2

My baby girl (also 3mths) was introduced to one feed of formula a day several weeks ago. She is on Aptamil (by Milupa) which you can get from Wellcome or Mannings. So far so good, no constipation issues and no taste preference from her side. It doesn't seem too thick (like some of the formulas I've seen) and seems to have improved her sleeping (to a stretch of 6 or 7 hours) although it may be because she is able to take quite a big feed at her 11pm/12midnight dreamfeed.

HTH

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I can understand your desire to get more unbroken sleep at night. But one of the great benefits of breastfeeding is that it decreases the chances of the baby developing allergies. The maximum benefits, especially for allergies are when exclusive breastfeeding is continued for at least the first six months.

The best way to avoid allergies, especially in babies with a family history of food allergies, is to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months of life, and then introduce solid foods very gradually. The immune components of human milk probably help babies tolerate new foods, so it is important to keep breastfeeding while baby learns to enjoy solids. A recent study found that children who continued to breastfeed for several months after wheat was introduced into their diet were less likely to develop celiac disease than those who weaned soon after beginning to eat wheat produce.
    Womanly Art of Breastfeeding page 360

A number of studies have linked lack of breastfeeding to asthma. According to one study, (Oddy W.H., et al BMJ 1999;319:815-819), six year old children were more likely to have asthma if they had not been exclusively breastfed for six months.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    My daughter has been on Nestle Nan HA 1 and 2 since around 8-9 mths. I have mild allergies so to be on the safe side, her paed put her on that. She's healthy and happy BUT is on the low side of the chart, nothing wrong with that my paed keeps telling me. i'm very tiny too so that must have something to do with it as well. BUT Nan HA have been linked to hmm.. how should i put it, let's say babies who won't be as fat. and i've heard Wyeth S26 is known to be linked to babies on the other side of the chart.

some of the above is hearsay but i do know a few Nan HA moms and their babies are all on the lighter side, but you have to balance that out with the fact that you have allergies in your families. Before switching to Nan HA 2, i actually asked the nurse if i can switch to a 'fatter' brand :p (who doesnt' like chubby babies :p) but the nurse said it'd be even worse if the baby couldn't adapt and get all constipated and stuff. She's right, as long as baby is healthy and thriving, all is fine.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User
    bunx2,
    When my LO was 2 months, I also starts to want a unbroken sleep, so I listen to my friends to feed her formula at the last fed. I tried for more than 2 weeks and it doesn't seems to work and I was worry that she won't like my BF anymore so I switch her back to BF for all fed.

At around 3.5 months, she gave up the midnight fed first and after few days she gave up the 4-5 am fed also.Since then she could sleep through the night from 7pm to 7am.

Compare to all my friends tried different methods to wean the baby off the midnight/early morning feds, she is a much better sleeper. So I actually believe that when the babies ready to quit the night feds, they will do it themself.
    Bear Lau:

spockey is offline Registered User
    I couldn't breastfeed at all. Devastated by the thought but then there was NO pressure from the midwives. In fact, they told me that it's all ok. It's only societal pressure - different times pressured women to do different things.

Anyway, bub was put on Karicare immediately by midwife. In HK, the equivalent is Cow and Gate. We tried S26 and it didn't work for our bub, he continued to get reflux and didn't sleep through the night.

Bub has always slept through the night on Cow and Gate (Karicare) and not any other. And had minimal reflux.
    But I understand that each bubba is an individual.
    Good Luck with your choice.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    my boy was on Friso until he's a little more than 2 months and started having eczema. Our pd (actually 2 pds) recommended us to switch to Nestle Nan H.A. I haven't had experience with other formula but just by comparing to Friso, I find the Nan HA has color and consistency much closer to breastmilk (even his poo-poo color changed from yellow to green!). My boy is now 5 months, still has minor but manageable case of eczema when weather changes (don't know if the formula helped). Never had constipation and his weigh is 55 percentile. The only thing I don't like about Nan HA is the unbelievably smelly poo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast